Help! what is intermittent fasting?

JoshuaCor

I've seen many here talk about intermittent fasting and i am very interested in perhaps trying it. I've watched some of Jason Fung and he makes sense. My question is how does this differ from anorexia?

Reactions: jpscloud

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anorexia can end in death. It's not about eating what is right for you, but about control. (Or the sense of a lack thereof in life in general, more often than not, though phobia of food can play a role). With IF you still get the nutrients you need. You don't starve yourself and you don't become deficient in vitamins and minerals. And instead of kicking the bucket, you get healthy.

Example: I skip breakfast and have lunch rather late. Lunch is usually a salad with a can of tuna, mayo, olives, capers, asparagus and gherkins, or a big chunk of melted goat cheese, cherry toms, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Or 3 eggs with cheese and bacon. Dinner is meat/poultry/fish with veggies, bacon and cheese. Sometimes I only have one meal, but then it's a filling one. As you can see.

I've known anorexics who eat half a grape. A day. And then still feel guilty. See the difference? Some people do an extended fast, and can go for days, but the moment you feel you need to eat, you get out the pots and pans.

Intermittant fasting is about getting your body to burn excess fat, and regenerate cells. For T2's, it's also helpful in getting bloodglucose in range. Plus, it gives energy, rather than depleting it.

It's all about balance and getting better. Not about self destructing.
I've seen many here talk about intermittent fasting and i am very interested in perhaps trying it. I've watched some of Jason Fung and he makes sense. My question is how does this differ from anorexia?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m struggling to understand how you’ve linked the two, especially after finding and watching Dr Fung.

I should be pedantic and add that anorexia is lack of appetite, Anexoria Nervosa is a complex and debilitating health condition that kills many of those that have it.

Reactions: lessci and Flora123

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Example: I skip breakfast and have lunch rather late. Lunch is usually a salad with a can of tuna, mayo, olives, capers, asparagus and gherkins, or a big chunk of melted goat cheese, cherry toms, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Or 3 eggs with cheese and bacon. Dinner is meat/poultry/fish with veggies, bacon and cheese. Sometimes I only have one meal, but then it's a filling one. As you can see.

Hi, I'm also finding IF compelling. My goal is to regenerate the beta cells.

I usually have brunch somewhere between 11-12 noon. What time is your late lunch?

Can you drink anything between waking up and having a late lunch?
Would having even 1/2 cup of milk be okay?

What is the minimum stretch of hours to call it a fasting? 12 hours?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm also finding IF compelling. My goal is to regenerate the beta cells.

I usually have brunch somewhere between 11-12 noon. What time is your late lunch?

Can you drink anything between waking up and having a late lunch?
Would having even 1/2 cup of milk be okay?
Technically speaking, milk would break the fast, as there is lactose and thus, sugar in milk, besides other nutrients. I usually stick with tea and don't eat until I feel like it. I'm on my third mug of tea, haven't had breakfast/lunch yet, and it's almost 13:30 here. Some days I'll eat at 11 a.m., yesterday I didn't eat until 4 pm. Just go with what feels right for you. If hunger doesn't go away with something to drink, or you feel like you can't go for longer, just eat. And don't, if you don't feel the need to. There's a lot of hard-core fasters here who'll go days without food, but just start at the beginning: eat when hungry, don't eat when you don't feel a need to, so your body gets used to it. Being a low carber helps, as cravings don't kick in as fast, if at all. :)