Help with a childrens book to increase diabetes awareness

lightwolfe

Hi all,
I know the topic of this post seems a little bit random but let me explain. My wife is T1 and has been since she was 4. When she was at school none of the kids or teachers seemed to understand what diabetes was and from what ive read this seems to be still the case in a lot of schools.
In my honest opinion education is the best solution to help diabetic kids fit in and to help their friends and teachers understand that diabetes is a fact of life not a disability that people should avoid.
I have also spoken to my daughter’s nursery to see what their understanding is about diabetes, the answer I got was far from satisfying they pretty much said "well if we get a diabetic child we will look in to telling the other children what it’s about, until then we don’t"
To be honest this terrified me. No wonder young diabetics find it so hard to deal with.
I have started writing a kids story book to pretty much go over what diabetes is what some of the common symptoms are to be diagnosed I’m also going to go in to what hypos and hypers are and what good diets mean for a diabetic.
I’m slightly stuck at the moment now with not having and recent experience of diagnosis especially with kids.
It would be helpful if I could get some real life examples of what happened when children have been taken to the docs and have been first diagnosed.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I will also be self publishing this book.

(This was originally posted in the discussion forum but this section was more appropriate)

serankine

Re: Help with a childrens book to increase diabetes awarenes

Hi i dont know if this helps but my daughter was diagnosed age 4 she is 5 now.
She started wetting the bed and drinking and needing the toilet alot more looking back now we know the sighns there were alot more also eating some of her tea but then she would shout out complaining she was hungry and would then eat dry bread at midnight. We read an article about type 1 so took her to the docs with a urine sample. I was told by the doctor that her bed wetting and needing the toilet was probberly down to her just starting schools or it could be a water infection. i said i wasnt leaving till they checked and could it be type1. They finally tested the urine found there was glucose in the wee then did a finger prick and her sugars were up.
Then she got transfered to hospital were they re-done all the tests. We went through a lot of bother at hospital since they were telling me she wasnt a diabetic. They took her off insulin and kept sending her home but then tell her to come back later. But eventually 5 days later she was diagnosed.
And was allowed to come home and was put on to 2 injections a day. It seems like it was only yesterday. Since then we went onto 4 injections and now a pump.
Looking back on photos she is pale and dark under the eyes. She lost alot of weight and just looks really ill. But it comes on that slow you dont realise it. Hope this helps. If you need any more information. Please ask.
Sarah Rankine