Type 1 Help with high sugars

MrsP2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I am new here so I’ll just give you a bit of background and then ask my question. I hope that is ok. I have been a diabetic for the past 12 years and I was initially diagnosed as a type 2 however there was a lot of dispute about this. The GP refused to carry out a blood test to find out what I actually am due to cost. Anyway a new nurse started and I managed to sweet talk her into letting me have the blood test only to be told when they received the results that nobody at the surgery could read them a few weeks later I went back to the GP for something else and I just happened to mention it to the doctor I was seeing who amazingly was able to read the result and tell me I am actually a type 1.

I have been using insulin now for a number of years and I carb count but at the moment I am really struggling to get my sugars down and whatever I do just doesn’t seem to help. Following my eye test this year I have been told I have some background retinopathy and I am so worried about having high sugars but I’m stuck and need advice. I would contact my diabetic team if it weren’t for the fact I can never get hold of them!

Does anybody have any tips to lower your blood sugars when they are particularly high?

Thank you and sorry for my ramble!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I am new here so I’ll just give you a bit of background and then ask my question. I hope that is ok. I have been a diabetic for the past 12 years and I was initially diagnosed as a type 2 however there was a lot of dispute about this. The GP refused to carry out a blood test to find out what I actually am due to cost. Anyway a new nurse started and I managed to sweet talk her into letting me have the blood test only to be told when they received the results that nobody at the surgery could read them a few weeks later I went back to the GP for something else and I just happened to mention it to the doctor I was seeing who amazingly was able to read the result and tell me I am actually a type 1.

I have been using insulin now for a number of years and I carb count but at the moment I am really struggling to get my sugars down and whatever I do just doesn’t seem to help. Following my eye test this year I have been told I have some background retinopathy and I am so worried about having high sugars but I’m stuck and need advice. I would contact my diabetic team if it weren’t for the fact I can never get hold of them!

Does anybody have any tips to lower your blood sugars when they are particularly high?

Thank you and sorry for my ramble!
Hi @MrsP2017 , welcome to the forum.

Have you done any form of basal testing to see if your basal dose is still right for you (if you're on basal and bolus insulins)?

What insulins are you on?
How do you decide on the doses you need for your meal?

Sorry for all the questions, getting a bit more of the picture may give us some ideas on what you could do. :)

Your profile still shows as T2, you might want to change thatto prevent confusion.

Wish you all the best!

Reactions: EllieM

MrsP2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Antje77 and thank you for your response. I will definitely change my profile thank you for that I would never have thought to check it! I signed up to the forum a long time ago but I’ve never been brave enough to post! My bolus insulin is apidra and I carb count to work out my dose every time I eat. I have tresiba for my basal insulin and I have 25 units. I’m thinking I may adjust my basal as I am also waking up with high sugars and I just can’t seem to get a grip at the moment and I’m finding it so hard. I was doing well but I’ve hit a brick wall now!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My insulin needs change overnight for no discernible reason sometimes. I might suddenly need 2x or even 3x as much insulin, or a lot less. If my body needs more insulin I give it more. Of course to deal with a one-off high, you can use a correction bolus, or go for a walk or run (but test frequently to prevent lows!). I use intramuscular injections if I want to reduce a high quickly. But if you are experiencing days of highs your body may be telling you there's simply not enough insulin.

Your healthcare team sounds like it is failing you. Do you have any other options? I recommend you get the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. You may also want to consider an insulin pump or CGM. Good luck!