Helping me understand my blood glucose readings

harvey740

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Looking for some help/advice. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, although I have a lot of symptoms which make me think I may have it.

I decided, before going to the doctor (probably not smart I know) that I would monitor my blood sugar levels and see what I can come up with, so I purchased a meter.

My readings are attached) in photo form). I don't really understand them. If someone with some experience could have a look at them and let me know what they mean that would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot in advance!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413786672.751126.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413786688.635901.jpg

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI harvey, I thnk you readings look perfectly normal. One further test you could do, if you want to, is to eat a really carb heavy meal and test before and every half hour until you are back to your pre meal value.

What are your symptoms?

harvey740

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi totto,

Thanks for your response. My diet and exercise routine is perfect. I am very strict

-constant lack of energy

-Frequent urination. I need to go to the toilet at least 3 times during the night

-Very (more than ordinary) dehydrated in the morning.

-Mood swings after sugary food.

-hangover like feeling the day after bad food

-find it very hard to concentrate. Don't feel as though my brain is working to its full potential

-last time I went to the doc my blood pressure was very high (I'm only 24 and very fit)- don't know if this is related?

- hands and feet go very numb after only a short time of leaning on them

-struggle to gain muscle mass with very good diet and exercise routine

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever measured the amount of fluids going in and out?That way you will know if you are dehydrated due to excessive urine production. There are other hormones involved in this.

You didn't bang your head in the last couple of years? Fell of a bike, car accident or such?

harvey740

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
No I haven't. I drink at least 3Ls per day.

I could try that.

I had a big hit at football about 7-8 years ago and they thought I broke my neck (I didn't). That has never really given me any issues though.

Why's that?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bang on the head can cause problems with the pituitary gland years later. The pituitary regulates a lot of hormones, among them the ones that regulate hydration and blood pressure. And metabolism and a lot more.

I should look into thyroid hormones too if I were you.

I don't think 3 L is extreme if you are physically active. But you shouldn't have to go up during the night.

Have you booked an appointment?

Reactions: 2 people

harvey740

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My thyroid was tested recently and came back normal (as my brother had to have his thyroid removed). I also had my testosterone tested and it came back at the very lowest of the "normal" level (I don't know the units of measurement, although it was 320 something and 10-not sure exactly what that means). So no further test were taken.

I don't feel right at all. I have been to the doctor and told him I don't feel great and he did some blood tests and said everything was ok. I'm not convinced. With my age and fitness level and diet I should be full of energy.

Not sure what to say to the doc if I go
back.

Thank you so much for your time!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to get your high BP sorted. High BP can have hormonal cause so you really should go back to your GP and maybe you should ask for an Endo referral.

And get copies of all the blood tests done.

harvey740

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah it was 180 over something. So that's obviously an issue. I get very red and hot often.

Yeah I really don't want to go back to the doc but I might have to just suck it up and do it.

Thanks again. Glad to hear my glucose levels are ok!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NICE guidelines for blood glucose levels are:

Non-diabetic 4 to 5.9 before meals, and under 7.8 at 2 hours post meal.

It looks like you fall within that normal range.

I think you need to see your GP. Your BP needs attention, and there many other causes for your symptoms apart from diabetes.