Hi everyone!

shar

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (sorry!!) but really, I do!)
I'm Sharon, diagnosed with Type 1 five years ago, now aged 41. I'm a reasonably happy healthy diabetic so far fortunately, eat and do pretty much what I like, count my carbs, do lots of testing, take six shots a day (always need to correct before bed!) and generally don't find the diabetes too intrusive. But hard as I try, I seem to run high a lot, especially at night, and so HbA1c has gradually crept up (now 9.1) so being put on the pump from next winter. Very interested to read everyone's comments on their experiences with the pump - everyone seems to love theirs but I'm a bit anxious about the sartorial side of things (little summer dresses?!)! But it feels like the right thing to do...

Have never been in a chat room before and only know one other T1 diabetic so not sure what to expect here but it would be nice to know other diabetics and have people to discuss things with (such as last Sat night spent in A&E post dinner party where I took double dose of Levemir thinking (in the candlelight!) it was my Novorapid!! Never done anything like that before. Was all fine but wasn't sure what to do at the time and NHS direct suggested A&E - not sure it was necessary but better safe than sorry I guess.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and look forward to chatting in the future.

Sharon

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
Hi Sharon,

What insulin are you on? Has your doctor ever suggested using Metformin along side your insulin? I tried that, it made a little difference, but I decided to ask about the pump and have now been pumping for over 2 months.

I'm just starting to learn some tricks for hiding my pump. My best one so far is probably down my bra. I hook it right in the middle at the front and as of yet, no-one has noticed it. I'm not really a little dress wearing kind of person, I generally just it onto my jeans. No-one ever notices it unless I take it out to use it. Sometimes people ask questions, most the time they don't. But it's been soooo much better particularly at parties and restaurants, being able to take out alittle machine to put insulin in, than getting out the injection which is when you get the numerous weird looks and I was always afraid of someone fainting at the sight of the needle. (it sounds daft, but I had a friend like that. He could never watch me inject. The big wuss fainted watching an episode of ER!!) I've never really been self conscious of injecting in public and have always refused to do it in the loo (particularly unhygenic!)

Went a little off topic there!

There are different lengths of giving sets, I've heard of some getting longer tubes in order to wear their pump in their Ugg Boot. I suppose you could hook it onto your knickers, but then I guess you wouldn't want to wear a close fitting dress.

You will get used to it though. I have :)