Hi, New To The Forum...

Photon

Hello People,

I was diagnosed with Type-2 Diabetes about 7 or 8 months ago and take Metformin (2000mg) daily.

I also take the medication Olanzapine which causes weight gain. I put on a lot of weight through this medication which resulted in me being diagnosed as diabetic. My GP has put me on Metformin but said that as my weight goes down they will review my Diabete's and they could end up taking me off Metformin completely (Didn't think it was possible to ever get rid of Diabetes?)

Just wondering if anyone else is on Olanzapine or a similar type medication and have you been diagnosed as Diabetic as a result of taking it? Olanzapine is especially known for messing up blood glucose levels but i'm pretty sure their's other meds out there that do this also.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated...

Thanks.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome, im type 1 so cant really helpbut wanted to welcome u anyway :D

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to a very homely bunch on here, I am sure someone will know the answer to your questions, in the mean time have fun and get to know a few peeps on here. :D

IOPan

Olanzapine and Diabetes

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 18 months ago, at the time I was taking Olanzapine for bipolar disorder.

Dispite being taken off the Olanzapine (during which I put on a significant amount of weight, which I have now lost) I find that I am still diabetic. I take Metformin (2000mg) and Gliclazide (320mg) a day and my doctor informs me that I may have to take insulin in the future.

As you say
Olanzapine is especially known for messing up blood glucose levels

I have begun to look into this and it seems that an American piece of research concluded that
olanzapine may precipitate or unmask diabetes in susceptible patients

Many people in the US have sued Eli Lilly for the drug Olanzapine giving them diabetes - and there are many more class actions pending. I myself may file for compensation from the company. I believe that people perscribed Olanzapine (and similar drugs) should have regular blood tests to see if they are developing high blood sugar - and if so, withdraw from taking the drug.

pacb

Hi I've just signed.
In 2007 I was diagnosed with bi-polar. After a year of using Olanzapine i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high lipids and high trigylcerides. My meds were then changed to Quetiapine (Seroquel) I have been seeing a consultant pathologist regularly since 2008. It was also thought that i may have a heart problem (probably due to the weight gain). I am now on Metformin (3000mg), Rosuvastatin and fenofibrate. My levels of vitamin B12 are now dangerously low.
I have been following the court action in US against Eli Lilly (Olanzapine) and Astra-Zeneca (Quetiapine). It would seem that a partial result was made in favour of the patients taking Seroquel in 2011.
Does anyone know of any action in this country?

I was not warned about the possible side effects relating to metabilites when given either medication.
I work in the addiction field and we even had a rep from Astra-Zeneca who came and gave a presentation. She did not mention the possibility of diabetes (this was only 2 years ago). SO they were still hiding this from professionals and as well as patients.

SHouldn't we be looking to spark a 'revolution' in the UK, and get some action going here?
Anyne know how to start?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Paul