hi newbie here

medic81

hello all,

I am.new here, so plz do go easy on me, lol, and iam from scotland also. forstly I am very glad to.be jioning u all on this forum, and I hope I can both learn, and similtaneously be of valid contribution.

I do not had diabetes, now I know you wil all.be thinking, then why hell u on here. well I here for various reasons. I have a degree in sportas science, so I have knowledge and sports specific interest in chemistry, and how the human body uses, insulin, from a sporting natural physiolgical stance, but also, iam currently trying to study pharmacology. although, where the real relevance comes in is my uncle had diabetes, and sadly he died of conditions which were exacerbated by his poor management, and understanding of the disease. so I therefore want to learn write about from indiviuals who are involved in sport, and make others aeware, as not enough people appreiate the complications and complexities, and prevalence of such a disease. so I hope u all accept my interest, and I very respectfull of everyone.

thanku.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
Welcome.
What would you like to know first? It is nice to meet someone who has an academic interest in this field.

medic81

it very interesting as when i competed in judo one of the first terms we learned was, recovery was paramount after training, the liver stores naturally equivalent to 70g of glycogen, this is our liver/bodys reserve store.

what happens is when an individual eats so many grams of carbohydrates for there bodyweight, this tops up the stores, however if we take in too much a bit like a fuel tanks, what happens it spills over, has nowhere to be transported/ or i should say be ustilised, therefore bodys first reaction is store as fatty tissue adipose fats distributed across the human body.

when we train the most depleted time our body experiences is post activity ie training, thats why you hear a lot of people say, god i feel sick lethargic, this is our body crying out for food ie carbs, fast acting high glycemis index, glucose being purest form. complex being lower on the scale. So the bodys tissue muscle stores cells are needing replenished, i know if do not eat right away, i sweat, feel sick tired, clinically this is my body warning me to eat, but what i was thinking this is what happens to diabetics, but there body does not have the mechanisms to deal with it, therefore it goes from a normal secreting pancreas/ liver to a problematic one.

If say an athlete/ active indiviual can increase the most anabolic anti catabolic hormone in the human body ie insulin the recovery and food we ingest is utilised to its fullest potential, and recovery is both optimal and rapid.

but after all this complex dialouge what does indiviual lantus/detimir/humalog/novo do in the human body, hiw do you know which one you need, and what re the main differences between long and short acting. how can you lessen carbs without hypos etc.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
Well , I don't know about the glucose lowering medications so someone else will have to answer your questions about those.

True that glycogen is the stored energy in the liver which is used up in exercise. But remember also that insulin is the major fat building hormone in the body and when carbs are eaten it is released in large quantities to convert them immediately either into glycogen, or glucose. Then it stores the remainder as fat. If carbs are continually eaten, insulin is continually circulating. If a person is genetically prone to diabetes, they become less and less sensitive to the insulin, so more and more has to be produced.Over time this tires out and kills the beta cells of the pancreas.

Most of us are not athletes so your theoretic situation does not apply. We don't use up the excess carbs. Therefore to control diabetes we must restrict our carb intake sharply. When we eat proteins and fats we don't demand insulin in the same way as for carbs, much less is required. This is how a lot of us control it. Also, by eating mainly fats and proteins, such as in my case, we make our body use our own bodyfat as energy - thus we go into ketosis. This results in weight loss and low blood sugar, desirable conditions for a diabetic - as long as no medications or injected insulin is involved of course.

I suggest you read Dr Richard Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' as it explains in both clinical and layman's terms how all this happens. He also covers all about the types of glucose lowering drugs and insulins that you mention.