Hi

SimplyJason

Hi I am delighted to join this community dedicated to supporting individuals living with diabetes. I have over five decades of personal experience as a Type 1 diabetic, having managed the condition successfully for 54 years (Albeit my mum did help for the first few ;)). Despite the many challenges that come with diabetes, I am proud to say that I have no long-term complications and have consistently maintained my HbA1c levels within the optimal range.

Throughout my life, I have faced not only the physical demands of diabetes but also significant mental health challenges. I have experienced PTSD, severe depression, and even a temporary detachment from reality. These experiences were incredibly difficult, but they also taught me invaluable lessons about resilience, self-care, and the importance of mental health support. Today, I am in perfect health, both physically and mentally, and I am passionate about using my experiences to help others navigate their own journeys with diabetes.

General question does anyone remember the time's when we had to test our urine for blood sugar's?

Love this quote
“Take care of your diabetes before it takes care of you!”
― Robert M. Kershner, MD, MS, FACS

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
General question does anyone remember the time's when we had to test our urine for blood sugar's?
Sure do, test tube with the tablet, 5 drops of urine and ten of water? I used to hate cleaning the test tube...

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

SimplyJason

I was happy to see your reply and, a bigger smile appeard when you confirmed the drops. Just been educating my other medical team on my early diabetes management and told them it was five drops of urine and ten of water... :)
Looking back those were wild days, if memory serves me right if it was BLUE that meant you was ok, could be near hypo, but possibly not, then on to ORANGE, I think :rolleyes: which meant could be near good though, could also mean, oh o, going high, then finally if it, turned ANYTHING darker, that was it, you knew you were in the high zone?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was happy to see your reply and, a bigger smile appeard when you confirmed the drops. Just been educating my other medical team on my early diabetes management and told them it was five drops of urine and ten of water... :)
Looking back those were wild days, if memory serves me right if it was BLUE that meant you was ok, could be near hypo, but possibly not, then on to ORANGE, I think :rolleyes: which meant could be near good though, could also mean, oh o, going high, then finally if it, turned ANYTHING darker, that was it, you knew you were in the high zone?
Blue was zero, I think a sort of orange brown was as bad as it got and was "over 2%".

Reactions: SimplyJason