*HIGH* Blood Glucose Reading

JBramleyShaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello all,

I am newly diagnosed, I treat my Type 2 Diabetes via medication, blood glucose readings, diet, and exercise. I'm still learning a lot of things, and it's fair to say that I'm having difficulties processing all this information and applying it to my daily routine.

This past week I've been bedridden due to a severe cold, so I've had a lot of takeaways because I've had no energy to cook and have been really ill.

This morning my blood glucose is 18.1 mmol/L, I'm still not well and unable to exercise or do anything that requires a lot of energy, and I was wondering how I can quickly lower it to a healthy level as I'm quite worried.

Thanks in advance.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @JBramleyShaw and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry you are unwell. Unfortunately illness can push people's blood sugars up. (As a T1 on insulin I follow "sick day rules" when ill which guide me on the extra insulin I need. This is unlikely to be an option for a non insulin dependent T2).

The obvious thing for you to do is to contact your doctor or ring 111 but can I first ask what medication you are on and if you know what your hba1c (a measure of average blood sugar) was on diagnosis?

Here's some advice from an NHS link on sock day rules for T2s (it refers to covid but applies to any illness)

But if you google you can see that there is varying advice according to what meds you are on.

Hopefully some T2s will be along soon to give further suggestions but if you are getting frightened please call a doctor.

Once more welcome.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any infection pushes your blood sugars up. It’s also likely the takeaways didn’t help either. My own strategy to cope if I’m too lethargic is to hard boil a half dozen eggs at a time. These keep cold in the fridge well and with salad plus mayo keep me going for a few days. Until I’m over the illness, I don’t worry about my numbers being slightly raised but I do keep away from the carbs.