High blood sugars- undiagnosed

LydsR

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone,

I’m feeling quite on my own with how I’m feeling and I’m just hoping that somebody out there has similar experiences.

I’ve recently suddenly started feeling very unwell, I went to the doctor who ordered blood tests and everything was okay. But I havnt been feeling myself (no other health conditions, not diagnosed diabetic)

I have kind of just been putting up with how I have been feeling as I wasn’t sure what else to do, until today I was walking to pick my children up from school and I had extreme thirst, dizziness, sudden headache and couldn’t put a finger on how I felt. I felt so spaced out, not myself at all.

I thought that as I hadn’t eaten for 8 hours, that maybe my blood sugars were low (I have a blood glucose monitor at home as my husband has been keeping an eye on his blood sugar for health reasons (his are absolutely fine!)

By the time I got home after a 1 hour walk, I decided to test and my bloods were 10.4mmol!

I am only 26 years old, I am a healthy weight, I eat a balanced diet and I exercise regularly. I also had HBA1C tested with my recent blood tests and it was normal at 34 and 5.4%.

I have checked my blood glucose levels before when I felt similar and I noticed that my levels would shoot up (one example is 11.7) and then shoot back down (that same example was down to 3.4). When this happened I felt terrible, so lethargic, headache, needing to drink water etc. I’m now wondering if this is happening regularly and I just havnt been recognising it.

When I spoke to the GP they said my HBA1C was okay, but I feel like I should push for more answers?

Did anybody else have similar issues and their HBA1C was normal? Is there another test I should request? Any advice at all?

How I felt today really scared me, I genuinely felt delirious and I’m scared of something happening to me. I hate wasting doctors time, so I want to see if anybody has been through similar and if there is anything that going to the doctor can actually help with!

Thank you all