High blood sugars

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Five days into insulin regime and getting high readings of up to 20. I am taking 6 units toujeo in the morning and novorapid 1unit per 10g carbs each meal and cannot get blood sugars to come down. Things were better when taking oral meds (metformin, dapagliflozin and gliclizide) Has anyone else had this happen?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you clarify which type you are, your profile says Type 1 and this is in the Type 1 section but your signature says type 2 and the other meds you talk about are Type2 meds.

Have you just been re-diagnosed as Type1 instead of Type2?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Could you clarify which type you are, your profile says Type 1 and this is in the Type 1 section but your signature says type 2 and the other meds you talk about are Type2 meds.

Have you just been re-diagnosed as Type1 instead of Type2?
Yes I have been tested for antibodies and found to be positive, so diagnosis changed to type 1 and taken off oral meds and put on insulin after years of ever stricter low carbing and weight loss without achieving my hba1c goals. I don't know of Iam doing anything wrong.. have been following the rules to a t. Wonder if I should still be taking metformin in case I am insulin resistant

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a continuous glucose monitor or a flash glucose monitor?

If not, as someone diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus you should be offered one in England at least.

Reactions: becca59

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I have been tested for antibodies and found to be positive, so diagnosis changed to type 1 and taken off oral meds and put on insulin after years of ever stricter low carbing and weight loss without achieving my hba1c goals. I don't know of Iam doing anything wrong.. have been following the rules to a t. Wonder if I should still be taking metformin in case I am insulin resistant
Its probably just that your background amount and/or carb ratios are not correct since you've only just started on insulin, make sure you talk to your team - who I presume are helping you start on insulin

Everyone is different so it may take a fair bit of trial and error to get it right for you (and even then it can change dependent on a lot of different things)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JAT1

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Do you have a continuous glucose monitor or a flash glucose monitor?

If not, as someone diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus you should be offered one in England at least.
No I haven't been offered one, but this is all very new at the moment so have a lot of questions to ask at next appointment. Thanks for replying.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Its probably just that you're background amount and/or carb ratios are not correct since you've only just started on insulin, make sure you talk to your team - who I presume are helping you start on insulin

Everyone is different so it may take a fair bit of trial and error to get it right for you (and even then it can change dependent on a lot of different things
Thank you for replying, I'm hopeful that I can get things right with a bit of practice.