High bloods in the morning :S

foxyroxy9393

Hi guys... just wondering whether anybody else has this problem really.. i'm on novo-rapid and Lantus insulin, and actually my over night blood sugars are pretty good e.g. ill go to bed at 8 but then wake up at 6mmol. usually i carb count with the ratio of 3.5g per unit, which works pretty well for most of the day, but in the morning i can have like 3g per per unit but it doesnt even touch it. like ill be high teens 2 hours later. i dont understand why i need extortionate amounts in the morning to keep my bloods normal?

any advice is much appreciated!

thanks!

Snodger

I think lots of us have that problem - sometimes called 'dawn phenomenon'. I used to, but much less so these days. I really noticed it when travelling - eg on the west coast of the US, evening there but my jetlagged body thought it was 'dawn' and I got the bg spike at totally the wrong time of day. Even when my brain had caught up with local time my bg was still on UK time. Weird.

the only thing to do is recognise it and don't worry about having to whack up the insulin levels.