High carb day - a day in hospital

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, some praise for my local surgery. I phoned at 1:45PM, was seen by a GP by 3PM. I explained that I'd had odd sensations in my right hand, she (the GP) asked questions, did basic stroke checks, and wasn't happy to let me go, so referred me to the Same Day Emergency Care Dept. Two hours later I was there, and had bloods taken, an ECG, lots of tests performed, and had a head CT scan. This showed I'd had a stroke. I was admitted and had a bed within the hour.

Among the tests performed were some blood sugars. I remember they came back as 4.8 one time, and 6.5 the other time. This was in between the two white bread sandwiches that they gave me, plus the scrambled eggs on toast, or the corned beef hash that I ate (I declined the sticky toffee pudding).

The chap in the bed next to me had a painful, black big toe due to diabetes. I don't know what his sugars were, but the other chap there came back at 16.5. To be fair they were all in a fairly bad way.

Anyway, I'm still here and alive, so it must have been a fairly mild one. They sent me on my way with a load of drugs, with a promise of a follow-up in a few weeks. And told me to cut down on alcohol, and to stop smoking (which was my plan).

So if you've missed me - and why would you - that's why. It's been a bit difficult to type this (because of the hand issues), but it's getting easier.

Anyway, back on the low carb wagon tomorrow!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm so glad you are ok! You don't have a lot of choice in hospital and I'm not sure I could have resisted the sticky toffee pudding in your place! I bet your brilliant control of diabetes has helped. Wishing you the best recovery, all best wishes x

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will do. Some time off work. And time to work on changing my habits and lifestyle.

Yes, it was. Time to face the fact that I'm no longer young and invincible! ;)
Honestly, the smoking is the biggie.

My mother was a life-long smoker who eventually had lower limb circulatory issues. Her vascular Consultant told her to stay off the cigarettes, because each cigarette caused more micro-damage.

She stopped, cold turkey. The patches suggested didn’t suit her, but she stopped in a click of the fingers.

I wish you every best outcome. It’s been a shocker for you and undoubtedly those who love and care for you.

Last edited:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, the smoking is the biggie.

My mother was a life-long smoker who eventually had lower limb circulatory issues. Her vascular consultant told he to stay off the cigarettes, because each cigarette caused more micro-damage.

She stopped, cold turkey. The patches suggested didn’t suit her, but she stopped in a click of the fingers.

i wish you every best outcome. It’s been a shocker for you and undoubtedly those who love and care for you.
Yes, I realise that (now, more than ever) but I guess it could have been my undiagnosed diabetes, my period of uncontrolled high blood pressure, or my weight. Or a combination of those.

I gave up smoking a good few years ago with help of Allen Carr's EasyWay, and it was really easy and enjoyable. I've been listening to the audiobook again, but this time it's more pressing.

Thanks for the message. To be honest I'm still trying to process it. It's been a huge shock, and something I wasn't expecting. I expect my thoughts will settle down a bit during this week, and I'll be able to deal with it better.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I realise that (now, more than ever) but I guess it could have been my undiagnosed diabetes, my period of uncontrolled high blood pressure, or my weight. Or a combination of those.

I gave up smoking a good few years ago with help of Allen Carr's EasyWay, and it was really easy and enjoyable. I've been listening to the audiobook again, but this time it's more pressing.

Thanks for the message. To be honest I'm still trying to process it. It's been a huge shock, and something I wasn't expecting. I expect my thoughts will settle down a bit during this week, and I'll be able to deal with it better.
I was going to suggest Allan Carr's Easy Way, it's how I stopped smoking 30 years ago. That book just doesn't date, he hit the addiction nail square on the head and I also came to see that unscrupulous corporations were making me pay for the privilige of letting them kill me!

You'll be richer in health and pocket when you stop as well!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a shock for you but brilliant reaction by your GP and now you can move on with knowledge and care. Good luck with giving up smoking and well done on your BG control so illustrated by the state of the other patients. Take care and best wishes to you.