High HCAB1 early pregnancy

Carly97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm new to this have probably posted in the wrong section but couldn't figure it out. Been a T2 diabetic for 5 years. Found out I'm pregnant and have had been neglecting my diabetes stupidly. My hba1c was 90mmol so very scared what will happen. Scans at 7wks and 9wks were fine but had a miscarriage last year so nothing will stop the anxiety! Anyone else had high hba1c and had a baby at the end of it?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings @Carly97 & congrats on the pregnancy
We all slip so don't beat yourself up.

What meds are you currently on ?

Carly97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings @Carly97 & congrats on the pregnancy
We all slip so don't beat yourself up.

What meds are you currently on ?
Hello, I'm on insulin: apidura (bolus) and insuman basal.
Also on sukkarto prolonged release metformin 1g twice a day.
Also taking 5mg folic acid since approx 4 weeks pregnant.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Carly97 and welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry you have this extra anxiety at a time when you'd hope to be planning for an exciting new family member. Unfortunately a surprising number of conceptions don't go to term (diabetic and nondiabetic) as you sadly already know. A high hba1c pushes the odds further against you, but in my opinion this really is a numbers game, it's just probabilities, and you have to do the best you can now and wait and see. Luckily the scans should keep you updated with progress.

If it's any consolation my T1 mother had both me and my brother long before glucometers were invented (or ultrasounds for that matter) and got two babies out of her three pregnancies. (The hba1c for her first one would have been astronomical instead of just high, because she got pregnant immediately after almost dying from a T1 diagnosis via diabetic ketoacidos).

Good luck, and hopefully your team will help you keep your levels under control so that this pregnancy (and any future ones) has the best possibility for success.

Reactions: Carly97

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I'm new to this have probably posted in the wrong section but couldn't figure it out. Been a T2 diabetic for 5 years. Found out I'm pregnant and have had been neglecting my diabetes stupidly. My hba1c was 90mmol so very scared what will happen. Scans at 7wks and 9wks were fine but had a miscarriage last year so nothing will stop the anxiety! Anyone else had high hba1c and had a baby at the end of it?
Yes. 3 healthy ones but had rocky hba1cs early on (more swings between high and low). I am type 1.
All you can do is do your best now to help your baby grow (but not too much).
I haven't gone through losing a baby but it was hard to relax until after my 20 week scan.
You might well be able to bring your bgs down by eating less carbs but this has to be done carefully if you are on any meds especially insulin. It could be a really healthy time for you and your baby if you can make those changes. And delivery is easier if your baby doesn't get too big through high bgs in the latter stages.
I hope you get to enjoy your pregnancy and don't let any guilt bring you down as I am guessing this wasn't how you planned things.

Reactions: EllieM and Carly97

Carly97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. 3 healthy ones but had rocky hba1cs early on (more swings between high and low). I am type 1.
All you can do is do your best now to help your baby grow (but not too much).
I haven't gone through losing a baby but it was hard to relax until after my 20 week scan.
You might well be able to bring your bgs down by eating less carbs but this has to be done carefully if you are on any meds especially insulin. It could be a really healthy time for you and your baby if you can make those changes. And delivery is easier if your baby doesn't get too big through high bgs in the latter stages.
I hope you get to enjoy your pregnancy and don't let any guilt bring you down as I am guessing this wasn't how you planned things.
Thank you, this gives me a little hope. I'm further along then last time so keeping everything crossed! Last one was a MMC though which I think is why I worry so much

Carly97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Carly97 and welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry you have this extra anxiety at a time when you'd hope to be planning for an exciting new family member. Unfortunately a surprising number of conceptions don't go to term (diabetic and nondiabetic) as you sadly already know. A high hba1c pushes the odds further against you, but in my opinion this really is a numbers game, it's just probabilities, and you have to do the best you can now and wait and see. Luckily the scans should keep you updated with progress.

If it's any consolation my T1 mother had both me and my brother long before glucometers were invented (or ultrasounds for that matter) and got two babies out of her three pregnancies. (The hba1c for her first one would have been astronomical instead of just high, because she got pregnant immediately after almost dying from a T1 diagnosis via diabetic ketoacidos).

Good luck, and hopefully your team will help you keep your levels under control so that this pregnancy (and any future ones) has the best possibility for success.
Thank you very much :)