High ketones

Vick123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 3 year old little boy woke up with a blood sugar of 14 this morning. I thought I would just check his ketones too as he was very upset and moody and they were 1.9. I have corrected it and will check them again soon. Why would he have such high ketones? He is on levemir would this mean he is not having enough?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When there's too little insulin circulating in the body ketones are produced, have a read of the following which explains why this happens:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

See how he gets on with the correction dose, but if your boy is waking with high bg levels every morning then it's likely that his basal insulin needs increased, but if it's a one-off then it could be that he is coming down with a infection or cold, either way if your concerned then do ring his diabetes team up and ask for guidance.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ketones basically mean there is not enough insulin on board.............

a correction of the 14 should start to bring the ketones down..........

1.9 is at the very lower scale of "higher" ketones, so I am sure it will come back within an acceptable range when you next test....

;)

Vick123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou. Yeah I have a good understanding of ketones, at my work alarm bells start ringing above 1.0. Just though it was a bit random that his blood sugars are normally fine but he woke up this morning and the ketones were high. I guess things like this will happen with diabetes. I just don't want to fiddle about with his basal insulin and make him go the other way. Will see how he is tomorrow morning. Maybe it was a one off. Thankyou

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Vicki123, still no harm in ringing his diabetes team and ask what you should do if his bg readings continue to be raised on a morning, hopefully it is a one-off and he is fine again tomorrow and thereafter.

Good luck and keep the thread updated on his progress :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou. Yeah I have a good understanding of ketones, at my work alarm bells start ringing above 1.0. Just though it was a bit random that his blood sugars are normally fine but he woke up this morning and the ketones were high. I guess things like this will happen with diabetes. I just don't want to fiddle about with his basal insulin and make him go the other way. Will see how he is tomorrow morning. Maybe it was a one off. Thankyou

yeah, a rogue reading overnight wouldn't be enough to change things........look for a pattern.....;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
High bloods can also be the pre-cursor that he is fighting some form of infection that hasn't fully materialised yet, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How are things now @Vick123, has your boys bg & ketone levels come down?

Vick123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thankyou for thinking. Still high throughout the day better before bed though. I noticed on his finger when washing his hands before lunch that he had a collection of puss down the side of his nail. Been to the doctors he's now on antibiotics as it's obviously infected. I'm thinking that may be why. Feel awful. He hadn't complained to me about it. Hopefully will get it sorted now and get back to normal.

Reactions: 4 people