Higher sugar level after moderate walking

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I noticed that after 30 min of moderate walking ,the level went up to 7.5 that is usually higher side of my usual readings. I thought after walking it could go down at least to 6.0s
Any idea why it went up?

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BS goes up when I exercise too - it comes down pretty quickly though afterwards.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low grade exercise tends to lower levels, more strenuous exercise tends to push it up, for a short while. It would be worth testing again a little while after you finish your walk and see if it has dropped back. Over time, your personal definitions of low grade and strenuous will alter to reflect your fitter status.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find my 20 minute walks raise my levels. The benefits are seen later, maybe an hour later.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I find that 90% of the time exercise lowers my BG levels, but certainly not all the time.
I am beginning to wonder if there is any correlation between higher BG levels and lower temperatures when exercising.
If I go out for a 20 min jog, and it's cold outside it takes me 15mins to warm up.... And I have noticed often my BG levels rise.... I don't jog much, so it's not conclusive.... But maybe.
I don't swim much, but a few weeks ago went for a 30min swim.... And it raised my BG levels... Cold again???
I find walking always lowers my BG levels, providing I walk long enough to make me sweat a little.... Thus wrapping up warm in the winter helps.
Whenever I exercise in doors, in the warm, my BG levels always seem to drop.... Maybe because at the end of exercise I am always sweaty... Maybe this is the key... Exercise to make you sweat.

Has anyone else ever found this?

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking forward to test out these theories and see what effect exercise has.
I am preparing for a 100 mile cycle ride in August, with several events taking place before then (in the region of 35-50 miles each ride)

To keep cycling through the winter I have an indoor trainer which I connect my bike up to
This is the first time I will have had a monitor to test myself pre and post ride

This will be interesting :)

Reactions: 4 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Good luck cyclist .

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I am continuing to express my concerns on the same topics. Surprisingly, I am getting same readings (higher than usual) after walking 30 minutes. Yesterday, I checked BS before walking that was 7.3 and after walking 30 minutes it went up to 8.3 ( reading was taken after 15 minutes from the finish of walking) . I do not see any genuine reason for such rise of BS . Can anybody has a scientific explanation and any idea whether such BS has any negative impact? I do the walking always, and in the past few months always I had lower BS after walking, but increase of BS is being observed very recently ,may be week or so. Very strange !

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Could it be because of the cold? Try wrapping up so you get very hot at the end of 30 mins

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I am continuing to express my concerns on the same topics. Surprisingly, I am getting same readings (higher than usual) after walking 30 minutes. Yesterday, I checked BS before walking that was 7.3 and after walking 30 minutes it went up to 8.3 ( reading was taken after 15 minutes from the finish of walking) . I do not see any genuine reason for such rise of BS . Can anybody has a scientific explanation and any idea whether such BS has any negative impact? I do the walking always, and in the past few months always I had lower BS after walking, but increase of BS is being observed very recently ,may be week or so. Very strange !
Hi Kaha

Same thing happens to me. What time of the day do you walk? My routine is get up, drink one or two cups of peppermint tea, then go for a 30 min walk. Sometimes when I test afterwards I'm in the high 4's but very often in the low 6's. For me I've wondered if it's because I've not eaten and my BS is gradually rising due to liver still dumping? (I don't usually eat breakfast for a while after getting up). I did a fasting this morning, just having my peppermint tea as I type and then will do my walk. Will retest and let you know .. watch this space!

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I do not walk in the morning . My time is in between 6-7PM

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you eat anything before walking?
I was thinking the same thing No Crbs. perhaps what he's had for tea hasn't spiked yet and it's that he's getting a reading of.

KAHA, can you tell us what you have for tea and at what time.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Also, 7.5 isn't really all that high.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I usually take a cup of Coffee in between 4-5 PM with a few nuts or 1-2 small biscuits , meaning more than an hour before starting evening walk.

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually take a cup of Coffee in between 4-5 PM with a few nuts or 1-2 small biscuits , meaning more than an hour before starting evening walk.
I know this will sound like a pain in the butt to do but try testing before the drink of tea and biscuits. Then just before you go for a walk and then when you come back. i have a suspicion it could be the biscuits, small or not. Just 1 rich tea finger can put mine up by 1.5-2 mmol, an hour after eating it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It could be the coffee and biscuits. Try skipping that next time before your walk and measure an hour after that snack without walking.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Well so much for my experiment ... typically today was different, 5.2 fasting and 4.4 after the walk. Oh well ...:rolleyes: