Type 1 Hives

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Oh dear. You're in the wars! I hope those steroids don't boost your bloods into the stratosphere, meaning you need additional Novorapid. That could be uncomfortable!

When I talked about the potential for reformulation of Novorapid, I meant like changes to the "recipe", as opposed to the maker. That said, when I looked I couldn't find any comments about that potential on the internet.

If it ramps up Nicola, don't ignore it. Some allergies tick along at the really annoying stage for ages, but sometimes they can suddenly go a bit wappy. Always be safe.
I compared two different batches of my rapid yesterday and they both seem to have had the same ingredients! I was just hoping I would have had some answers now but still none... It is like my skin is crawling, it tingles and burns... I just want it to stop.
I've used steroids in the past and they haven't affected my bloods too much, been a few years since I have taken prednisone though. I don't know whether to put my libre back on or not

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I compared two different batches of my rapid yesterday and they both seem to have had the same ingredients! I was just hoping I would have had some answers now but still none... It is like my skin is crawling, it tingles and burns... I just want it to stop.
I've used steroids in the past and they haven't affected my bloods too much, been a few years since I have taken prednisone though. I don't know whether to put my libre back on or not
Now, not being an insulin user here, I'm just applying some logic, as opposed to diabetes knowledge, but have you tried using insulin from the other batch, just in case (although, they could both be "changed", if that was the issue)?

D

Deleted member 83869

Now, not being an insulin user here, I'm just applying some logic, as opposed to diabetes knowledge, but have you tried using insulin from the other batch, just in case (although, they could both be "changed", if that was the issue)?
Yeah that's what I did but no change ‍♀️ so who knows... I guess I will just have to wait for immunology ‍♀️

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi there,
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
From a recent talk i attended hives tend to be caused by reaction to food, venom/toxins /insects and medications.
As @Knikki and @urbanracer have said, insulin can be a cause, but sites like rxlust.com and drugs.com suggest it is very rare.
Any new foods you may have eaten could be worth thinking about as a cause, and insects.
One trick i learned about was about where the hives are ( and are not, such as on the face or not, plus if having a warm shower made the hives far worse or not, whether hives and itch were on private parts, reason being that a condition called scabies ( mites/insects) can cause extreme itch.
Might do to prompt a doctor , with Could this be scabies.?
For a vety itchy skin condition years ago i was prescribed one of the older and apparently stronger antihistamines called cyproheptidine it can cause drowsiness and not advisable to drive/operate machinery whilst on it, but worked well to relieve itch.
Best Wishes for a cause to be found and for relief !!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also is it worth trying to get hold of my DSN tomorrow??

Hi Nicola - Apologies, I missed this post. Did you manage to get hold of your DSN?

I'd say it certainly couldn't do any harm. Even if it was just to try a couple of vials of an alternative rapid insulin.

OK, I know swapping insulins isn't like just swapping red socks for blue socks, but it could help conform or eliminate the Novorapid from the conundrum, and you'd at least feel you were trying something.

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola - Apologies, I missed this post. Did you manage to get hold of your DSN?

I'd say it certainly couldn't do any harm. Even if it was just to try a couple of vials of an alternative rapid insulin.

OK, I know swapping insulins isn't like just swapping red socks for blue socks, but it could help conform or eliminate the Novorapid from the conundrum, and you'd at least feel you were trying something.
Hello, That's okay. Yes I managed to get hold of her and have an appointment for Friday at 9.30...my Omnipod is back off again as it was just too uncomfortable and I am really hoping I can get back onto it soon!
I went to the GP yesterday and he did absolutely nothing despite my discharge paper from A&E suggesting otherwise...see attached. Had another bad day today of just feeling sorry for myself really and feeling like it is never going to end!
Screenshot_20190508_163519.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, That's okay. Yes I managed to get hold of her and have an appointment for Friday at 9.30...my Omnipod is back off again as it was just too uncomfortable and I am really hoping I can get back onto it soon!
I went to the GP yesterday and he did absolutely nothing despite my discharge paper from A&E suggesting otherwise...see attached. Had another bad day today of just feeling sorry for myself really and feeling like it is never going to end! View attachment 32805

Have you managed to speak to your DSN yet?

Aside from the hives, do you have any bloating? If it's a food allergy is there anything common to what you have eaten when it flares worst of all?

D

Deleted member 83869

Have you managed to speak to your DSN yet?

Aside from the hives, do you have any bloating? If it's a food allergy is there anything common to what you have eaten when it flares worst of all?
Only bloating I have at the moment is from all the water I've drunk... Blood is reading HIGH But I knew it was coming because my pod is off again

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only bloating I have at the moment is from all the water I've drunk... Blood is reading HIGH But I knew it was coming because my pod is off again

Presumably you have pens to use to deliver your insulin without your pump? Please do be safe!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! I have injected 3 times now! Hopefully I will start to come down soon!

Phew,............. A DKA wouldn't do you any favours whatsoever.

Glad you're seeing your DSN.

D

Deleted member 83869

Phew,............. A DKA wouldn't do you any favours whatsoever.

Glad you're seeing your DSN.
I know - just another thing to add to the piles! If it doesn't come down by much then I will just suffer with the hives and stick a pod back on with a TBR x

Reactions: DCUKMod
D

Deleted member 83869

@DCUKMod update... Saw my DSN today and she was shocked by my GP she said that next time I go if they refuse to refer me to immunology then to complain to the practice manager - as I already have a autoimmune disease etc. Back onto my pump now too

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod update... Saw my DSN today and she was shocked by my GP she said that next time I go if they refuse to refer me to immunology then to complain to the practice manager - as I already have a autoimmune disease etc. Back onto my pump now too

Oh good. I'm glad she is supportive.

What, is anything has been done about your Novorapid? Are you trying something else or persevering with the steroids and antihistamines.

D

Deleted member 83869

Oh good. I'm glad she is supportive.

What, is anything has been done about your Novorapid? Are you trying something else or persevering with the steroids and antihistamines.
Nope she said it's very unlikely my rapid, as it would be more localised to injection/cannula sites and more like a burn as such!
3 benadryl, 2 fexofenadines and 35mg of prednisolone seem to have helped slightly with the itching but running out of fexo and prednisolone!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope she said it's very unlikely my rapid, as it would be more localised to injection/cannula sites and more like a burn as such!
3 benadryl, 2 fexofenadines and 35mg of prednisolone seem to have helped slightly with the itching but running out of fexo and prednisolone!

I can certainly see that any hives would be concentrated around your infusion sites.

In preparation for the allergy testing, I would been a diary of symptoms, along with food and drink. If it gets worse when you bolus, that then could, potentially, maybe, what do I know, point the finger at something you're eating or drinking (and therefore bolusing for).

This is a great puzzle, provided we're not the ones with the hives! :)

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there Sorry to hear about your troubles. A persistent itch must be extremely frustrating to put it mildly. This along with the lack of support from your gp must be making things worse.

A couple of things relating to steroids. They will cause your blood sugars to rise. This will resolve once you stop them

In addition check whether you have to stop prednisoline completely or decrease it slowly. This is likely to depend on how long you have been on it you.

Hope things improve soon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 83869

I can certainly see that any hives would be concentrated around your infusion sites.

In preparation for the allergy testing, I would been a diary of symptoms, along with food and drink. If it gets worse when you bolus, that then could, potentially, maybe, what do I know, point the finger at something you're eating or drinking (and therefore bolusing for).

This is a great puzzle, provided we're not the ones with the hives! :)
Yes, I will try and do that.... Even though I am starting low carb tomorrow, well going to try to. Feeling very low in mood today, feel like I need a cry but I can't cry... That probably makes no sense haha!