HOLE IN THE POCKET AND DIABETES

Eric30

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Diabetes takes some chunks of cash off ones pocket,what ways should we use to save money in treating your diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Eric30 Welcome :)

Your profile says you don't have diabetes - is that right? Are you caring for someone with diabetes?

I don't find diabetes costs me any extra really. Obviously, if I funded a CGM that would cost me, but on a basic level there isn't any extra expense.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Except for the libre or cgm I cant think of any extra costs involved with my diabetes. In fact if it was diabetes only my budget would be better from having it!!

Reactions: TineBovingFoster

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes I agree I can't think of any extra costs involved are you buying meters or test strips the person with diabetes if there type 1 diabetic should be able to get the said items free from there doctor and free prescriptions or maybe your buying diabetic foods jams etc which can be quite expensive was this any help?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @Eric30 for me if you could bring down the price of fish which I just love and most of my meals contain fish of some kind,yellow Haddock,Mackerel,Salmon ect,perhapsa I can get it on prescription :D;)

Reactions: KezG

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It costs me a fortune, being a type 2 and not entitled to meters and strips on prescription. I won't say how much (in case hubby ever reads this ;) ) but it is substantial. Accu Chek Mobile cassettes retail at about £27 for 50. Codefree are very much cheaper at £7.50 or thereabouts, but not as reliable or convenient. Then lancets. I also use the Libre sensor part time. I would love to wear one full time but can't afford it.

So yes, for Type 2's there is a lot of outlay if you want to control the condition, and stay controlled.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only extra cost apart from my Libre is the bags of jelly babies for hypo treatments I buy. I either eat them or lose them.

Reactions: mist

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have someone suffering from diabetes

What type of diabetes do they have? Are they a child or an adult?

Can you tell us a little more about the extra costs they're having?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing strips cost me approx £50 for 6 months. I save by not buying junk food., biscuits, cakes takeaways etc so overall I don't think it costs me any more as a diabetic, and I feel great too.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes I think type 2 diabetics get a raw deal most have to buy there meters testing strips etc (not good).

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We only get 400 strips per 3 months covered in the Netherlands when you're on MDI. Anything else, I have to pay for myself. That's an additional 85 euros out of pocket for me every 3 months so I can test 6-7 times a day instead of 4 times a day. This doesn't include any additional exercise/driving/hypo tests, or malfunctioning strips. For my meter it's €23 per 50 strips and €8 per 100 lancets.

There's no real way to save money for me. I am on the road 4-5 times a week, either by bike or borrowing my parents' car, so I HAVE to test often whether I can afford it or not.

D

Deleted Account

The only extra cost apart from my Libre is the bags of jelly babies for hypo treatments I buy. I either eat them or lose them.
I agree. Hypo treatment is my biggest cost as a T1. I keep away from jelly babies and stick with Dextrose. They don't taste great so I am never tempted to snack on them.

Reactions: pwzero

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For a T1 though... it shouldnt be that much of a hole in pocket.. even hypo treatment costs can be wiped out if GP prescribes hypostop and person doesnt mind having this instead of bought "goodies".

Could you gove us a clue as to what the extras are that are burning holes in pockets for a T1??

Reactions: zand