Holiday Drinks

CamGreen

I’m not sure if this is the right area to post this but I’m currently on holiday and as a newly diagnosed T2 (six weeks ago) I was wondering if anyone had any guidance or suggestions on what drinks I could have. I’ve looked up things like jack Daniel’s and Coke Zero but I’m still a bit wary. Any guidance would be appreciated.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spirits and wine are best, but you're on holiday, RELAX don't overdo it but enjoy yourself and sort things out after recharging the batteries. Worrying will just impact your sugars anyway.
What was your diagnosed Hba1c if very high perhaps avoiding things would be good, but if moderate or only just legally diabetic than enjoy yourself.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wine and neat spirits are mostly OK. Its the mixers that have lots of carbs. Or 'manufactured 'drinks such as flavoured gins or liquors usually have sugar added. Trouble is in the UK drinks don't have to show nutritional info so it's often difficult if not impossible to find the carb values
Soda water or sparkling water can be good as a mixers to wine, whisky or brandy

Reactions: EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @MrsA2

When I'm out I go for either dry wine or Diet Coke with rum. I also do gin with soda water as well. It's important to find a way of managing your blood sugars that still allows you to enjoy life.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Reactions: EllieM

JoyandHope

Your question sounds funny and i get it

if you are type 2 diabetic learn how to read food and drinks labels.

I typically will not drink anything that has sucralose, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose and aspartame and a whole lot of sugar that easily spike blood glucose levels.

Not only are these sugars are the real cause of diabetes complications, they are the leading cause of inflammation.

Awsparx

Just remember your medicication may not be compatible with alcohol..

I'm on metphormin and if I know I'm going to be having alcohol in the evening I won't have it with the evening meal which is probably terrible advice but you got to live right :)..

Mike..