Holidays abroad

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and my question is ... in the summer I am flying to New York (husband's 50th) and also to Kos (daughter's 21st). Has anyone taken their testing meter in hand luggage and have you had any problems or do you need a letter from your doctor. Thanks

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken meter needles and injection pens to New York in hand luggage with no probs at all.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Probably best to get a letter from DSN or doctor to be on the safe side (am speaking as a T1 carrying needles and liquids) but no airport staff have ever looked at it. I just pop all my kit in the tray, have never been quizzed about it. Security check in thousands of Ds a day, they're well used to seeing kit and won't bat an eyelid.

Mind you, you could probably do a bit of damage with a lancet if you put your mind to it - "surrender the plane, or I'll dial it up to 7 and give the captain a serious graze!" Shouldn't have said that, might give those useless ISIS w*nkers a few ideas.

Enjoy the hols!

Last edited:

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Probably best to get a letter from DSN or doctor to be on the safe side (am speaking as a T1 carrying needles and liquids) but no airport staff have ever looked at it. I just pop all my kit in the tray, have never been quizzed about it. Security check in thousands of Ds a day, they're well used to seeing kit and won't bat an eyelid.

Mind you, you could probably do a bit of damage with a lancet if you put your mind to it - "surrender the plane, or I'll dial it up to 7 and give the captain a serious graze!" Shouldn't have said that, might give those useless ISIS w*nkers a few ideas.

Enjoy the hols!

Thank you
Tracy

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have only been asked for my doctor's letter once (for my insulin pump plus other sharps etc). I pointed to the bag going through X-Ray and said that the letter was in that bag or the one in front. The security guy just said that was ok.

As your going to USA you should make sure you have a letter re sharps and other test equipment/diabetes medication. I believe they are a bit more picky than other countries.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Has anyone taken their testing meter in hand luggage and have you had any problems or do you need a letter from your doctor.

In the twenty years since diagnosis and traveling overseas for work (many times) and on holiday at least once a year, BG meter in my hand luggage has never been a problem for me. My wife's asthma inhalers on the other hand, you'd be surprised.

I haven't travelled since last June, so I don't know if there are any changes, I know that my friend had problems with the truss he wears for a hernia, so who knows what the dopey whatsits are up to.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In the twenty years since diagnosis and traveling overseas for work (many times) and on holiday at least once a year, BG meter in my hand luggage has never been a problem for me. My wife's asthma inhalers on the other hand, you'd be surprised.

I haven't travelled since last June, so I don't know if there are any changes, I know that my friend had problems with the truss he wears for a hernia, so who knows what the dopey whatsits are up to.

Thanks David that is useful to know.
Tracy

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have only been asked for my doctor's letter once (for my insulin pump plus other sharps etc). I pointed to the bag going through X-Ray and said that the letter was in that bag or the one in front. The security guy just said that was ok.

As your going to USA you should make sure you have a letter re sharps and other test equipment/diabetes medication. I believe they are a bit more picky than other countries.

Thanks Dancer that is useful to know.
Tracy