Holidays

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I want to know the following,

First, that I knew about! Morcambe. 1966.
Best, for me kefalonia 2007.
Worst. Crete 2005.
Surprising, Berlin 1970.
Last. Lake District 2015.

Maybe like me, holidays are not the biggest thing in your life, but we all have them, there must be all sorts of adventures out there in forum land.

Let's hear some please.

Kefalonia for me was the best, it was our 25th wedding anniversary holiday and we had a wonderful time exploring the Greek island, it was so good we went again, to the same hotel in Skala.
The views, the trips, the cove we swam in, the weather, hospitality, food, price and most of all, the people there were brilliant.

The worst was Crete, except for the weather it was the complete opposite to kefalonia. It was truly awful.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The best would be Portugal as it was my first holiday with my wife, a close second would be Rhodes, visiting the Old Town of Rhodes was like stepping back in time, a fantastic place to visit and a great experience.

Don't have a worst one as I've enjoyed all my hols.

Reactions: Lamont D

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The worst holiday for me was a week we had in Prestatyn in North Wales. Absolutely awful with human faeces trickling out of the water pipes where you have to walk to get to the chalet. Also teeny tiny room so I had to buy earplugs and a eye mask because hubby and I go to bed at different times. The site was run down and we spent most of our time out looking around the area. The bed was broken and the bed hadnt even been changed when we got there. The shower didnt work and the toilet someone had left a lovely lasting memory. We were told 'well you could have just used the brush and cleaned it yourself'. Staff were rude

Best holiday - taking my girls to Florida and Disneyland. They dont remember it but I do. Was a great trip

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
First I can remember is either Isle of Wight in a B&B or on a farm near Porlock in Devon. I well remember the latter as I slipped and sat in a cow pat.
Worst was Crete where we ended up in a studio adjacent to what sounded like the Cretian equivalent of the M1.
Best - a small village on Zakynthos that we discovered after trying many other Greek islands, we now been returning there for the past 20 years and twice a year since we retired.
Surprising - a cottage on the island of Barra (this April), we expected a pretty basic cottage but it had all mod cons, beautiful views and a bottle of fizz in the fridge to welcome us.
Most recent - Zakynthos three weeks ago, but will be off to island of Mull in a few days time, then home for a few weeks and back to Zakynthos.

Dave

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I want to know the following,

First, that I knew about! Morcambe. 1966.
Best, for me kefalonia 2007.
Worst. Crete 2005.
Surprising, Berlin 1970.
Last. Lake District 2015.

Maybe like me, holidays are not the biggest thing in your life, but we all have them, there must be all sorts of adventures out there in forum land.

Let's hear some please.

Kefalonia for me was the best, it was our 25th wedding anniversary holiday and we had a wonderful time exploring the Greek island, it was so good we went again, to the same hotel in Skala.
The views, the trips, the cove we swam in, the weather, hospitality, food, price and most of all, the people there were brilliant.

The worst was Crete, except for the weather it was the complete opposite to kefalonia. It was truly awful.

First Bournemouth

Best Kefalonia

Worst Blackpool (sorry)

Surprising Lanzarote

Last Norway

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most recent - Zakynthos three weeks ago, but will be off to island of Mull in a few days time, then home for a few weeks and back to Zakynthos.

Dave

I have very fond memories of Zakynthos; we went there on honeymoon (mumble, mumble) years ago. I believe it has changed an awful lot since then and that many of the beach resorts are Party Central but I'm glad to hear that there are still some unspoilt spots.

We're suckers for the Greek Islands and used to buy a cheap flight to Athens, get a bus to Piraeus and then get a ferry to somewhere we liked the look of. On arrival, there would always be lots of Islanders offering you a room to stay in. We don't do island-hopping any more but one of the best holidays we've had as a family involved sailing in a Flotilla in the Sporades. Once you're away from Skiathos, the islands are peaceful and unspoiled and, of course, being in a boat means you're master of your own destiny and can get to many beaches and quiet spots that are inaccessible by road.

Not sure I could single out one favourite holiday, but this was certainly one that we all very much liked.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Think the beach a short bus ride from Argostoli was called Platis Yialos (something like that) it was very hot the sand underfoot was burning it was a relief to get in the sea

The food was excellent, first time I had eaten Swordfish (yum yum)

Kefalonia was beautiful

We went to the other side of the island got a ferry to the mainland and visited Olympia

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Think the beach a short bus ride from Argostoli was called Platis Yialos (something like that) it was very hot the sand underfoot was burning it was a relief to get in the sea

The food was excellent, first time I had eaten Swordfish (yum yum)

Kefalonia was beautiful

We went to the other side of the island got a ferry to the mainland and visited Olympia

We went to the mainland, as well, but we had a great day out on the island of Ithaca. Which could see from our hotel.
We also did the island hop tour, the trip to Onassis island and went to a beach were there was a bar on the beach but had to swim to it. Beautiful!

Reactions: Cumberland

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My first holiday was apparently aged 2 months, and was Newquay Cornwall. My Mom has often told me the story of how I spent the first two months of my life throwing up milk, and on this family holiday my Aunt demanded that she tried me on baby rice and water. That's where my problems with carbs began!

My best holiday was New York (funnily enough with my Mom and Aunt mentioned above).

Worst was Bodrum, Turkey, 2005. It was too hot, the men were too lecherous. Aside from that, I contracted Legionnaires disease from the air conditioning.

Most surprising was Algarve, Portugal for our honeymoon. It was fair quainter, and far more lovely than I'd imagined.

Last holiday - I got back from my first ever holiday in the Lake District two weeks ago.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My first holiday was apparently aged 2 months, and was Newquay Cornwall. My Mom has often told me the story of how I spent the first two months of my life throwing up milk, and on this family holiday my Aunt demanded that she tried me on baby rice and water. That's where my problems with carbs began!

My best holiday was New York (funnily enough with my Mom and Aunt mentioned above).

Worst was Bodrum, Turkey, 2005. It was too hot, the men were too lecherous. Aside from that, I contracted Legionnaires disease from the air conditioning.

Most surprising was Algarve, Portugal for our honeymoon. It was fair quainter, and far more lovely than I'd imagined.

Last holiday - I got back from my first ever holiday in the Lake District two weeks ago.

I really love the Lake district.
I found my peace after my mother passed in a place near Keswick on a walk there during a few days up there.
The best scenery without being too extreme.
Had some good short breaks up there.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found my peace after my mother passed in a place near Keswick on a walk there during a few days up there.

We plan to go back either in Winter this year, or early spring next year. Absolutely loved it. It's unspoilt.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We used to go to the Algarve a lot, although we haven't been for three or four years. We stayed inland a bit, usually in the countryside near Loule, in a succession of villas with their own pool, almost always secluded and quiet. It's a wonderful place and the people are great, as well. They love children and everywhere we went, the people would make a fuss of our kids: eating out was great because they'd have their food and then be whisked off by the restaurant staff to be made a fuss of, and we wouldn't see them again until we'd finished eating :)

Being out of the resorts, we had to go everywhere by car which was a bit of an education, both in relation to the state of the roads away from the coast, and the driving which was, erm, Mediterranean :eek: :D

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It's right on my doorstep
Beautiful part of the world

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to see Paris. My daughter was lucky enough to go a couple of times but I've not got there. Suppose I should renew my passport as it might make it a bit more feasible

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's right on my doorstep
Beautiful part of the world

I have a coastal walk very close to where I live but I have never done it!
Done the Mersey waterfront many times but not the Deeside one!
Isn't it always the way?

There is some great history in my area right on the Mersey.
I've done that!
I don't mean the Beatles stuff but the maritime stuff.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

The Algarve is beautiful, much prefer Portugal to Spain and the people are a lot friendlier IMHO.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Keswick is beautiful but can get too busy in the height of the tourism season.

Ullswater area is nice and peaceful, the drive from the M6 up to Glenridding passes through some spectacular scenery, the South Lakes (Kendal Area) is beautiful too and not too far off the M6 motorway.

We've been visiting Yorkshire a lot in recent years, the area around Skipton has some fantastic walks to explore.