Home HBA1C monitoring - A1CNow+

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just discovered that Bayer had discontinued their A1CNow+ kits which were FDA approved for home use as well as for use by general practitioner offices. I have used these and found they were pretty close to the hospital lab result, and quite affordable at around $10/test when bought in bulk (10 or 20 off). My batch are now past their expiry date, as I planned to test once a month but didn't.

But the good news is they have just this month become available again, via Chek Diagnostics, which seems to have acquired the technology. I couldn't figure out why Bayer had stopped providing the A1CNow+, as the link on the Bayer site to explain the decision was down. But it's good they are back. Not sure if they are available outside the US, or available direct to patients, at this time. And the pricing may be different now I suppose.

http://www.chekdiagnostics.com/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you find any pricing information for these Spiker?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nah wasn't even clear if they sell them to the general public. There is a section called "Home Use" but then you just get an enquiry form, so I think they are looking for distributors rather than individuals. When I got them, it was FDA approved for home use, but Bayer were cagey about shipping them to individuals outside the US. I got my doctor to order me a box (I paid) and they were fine with shipping to my doctor in the UK. From memory it was slightly over $100 for 10, slightly less than $200 for 20. But plus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are you based in the UK Spiker?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Indeed I am. Cor blimey, God bless the Queen, strike a light guv, etc.

:D

I was wondering why you would want to buy the A1C kits when you can get it done on the NHS, thought perhaps you lived outside the UK.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:D

I was wondering why you would want to buy the A1C kits when you can get it done on the NHS, thought perhaps you lived outside the UK.
Fair question. I just decided I wanted to have my HBA1c done more than once a year, like maybe every quarter or even every month, so I could see if I was making progress towards good control. It's a bit **** to try for a year to get it right, then see the doctor once a year and they say "oh you got it wrong, better luck next year". I wanted better feedback on whether what I was doing was working or not. So I bought the kits. I did previously ask my GP if I could have quarterly HBA1c tests, explaining my reasons, and they laughed me out of the office.

In the event however my control was so bad, and I wasn't making any decent effort to improve it, that I didn't use the tests and now they are past their expiry date. Which is terrible of me. So I am really hoping they are massively over engineered and are still accurate. I will calibrate today's test against my hospital HBA1c on Monday and see if it's a close match or not.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nah wasn't even clear if they sell them to the general public. There is a section called "Home Use" but then you just get an enquiry form, so I think they are looking for distributors rather than individuals. When I got them, it was FDA approved for home use, but Bayer were cagey about shipping them to individuals outside the US. I got my doctor to order me a box (I paid) and they were fine with shipping to my doctor in the UK. From memory it was slightly over $100 for 10, slightly less than $200 for 20. But plus shipping.

Thanks for that. I looked around the site and couldn't find any way to purchase; similarly with Amazon.

I can ship from the US to hear without any issues, using Aeropostale. I must have a look and see if they also do UK. FYI, with an Aeropostale account, you receive a Miami address, which is then forwarded to your overseas (that is overseas from the US) destination.

They could work for me, as interim tests.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Giverny (I never know if that works) - maybe DCUK could buy a batch of these tests and become a UK reseller? There is a UK distributor listed on the ChekDiagnostics website.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you noticed that Codefree do an HbA1c test too? I noticed it on the manufacturer's website, as opposed to the UK reseller.

Reactions: 2 people

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Thanks for that. I looked around the site and couldn't find any way to purchase; similarly with Amazon.

I can ship from the US to hear without any issues, using Aeropostale. I must have a look and see if they also do UK. FYI, with an Aeropostale account, you receive a Miami address, which is then forwarded to your overseas (that is overseas from the US) destination.

They could work for me, as interim tests.

If you can buy via US (may need US credit card...) then take a look at online suppliers under US distributors on AC1Now.com website - for example

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/A1CNow_Multi_Test.cfm?this_selected_product_id=37374

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting at $185 for 20 tests. (At today's rate £110.)

Thanks for posting.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this if it helps?
An GlucoMen A1c test kit should cost around £16.95 from pharmacies – you may need to phone ahead to be sure they have one in for you when you go, the product code is GA700S. Or you can ask your GP to order you one on prescription – PIP code 9255532.
Just Googled home testing lol

Smartie xx

Reactions: 2 people

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all,
First of all, the GlucoMen A1c test kit is a send off one- it's one test and you send it off and get results in around 3 days apparently. The relaunch of the A1c Now + machine as mentioned on the chek diagnostics page, has links to international sellers (I don't know if you've already checked this Spiker) and although the UK, Ireland and France ones aren't selling it, the German seller has a page on their website saying they will hopefully be distributing it from the second quarter of 2014 (so anytime now)! Shipping costs from Germany might be cheaper than from the U.S.?

This is the seller:

http://www.euromedix.com/

It doesn't have a specific URL for the right page, but if you go to products, then diabetes, then A1c Now + you'll find it :)

And here is what it says:

We are pleased to inform you that one of our business partners has acquired the A1CNow+® business from Bayer Consumer Care AG, Basel, Switzerland.
This includes the acquisition of the manufacturing plant in Sunnyvale, California.

As a result of this we will be in the possibility to continue the sales & supply of A1CNow+®.
The manufacturing is in a "Re-Start" modus right now.
We foresee to be able to ship product as of Q2 2014 (pending confirmation).
The retail pricing could possibly be the same as before, however, this needs to be confirmed.

We anticipate a delivery backorder in the beginning due to the high demand.
Therefore, please provide us with your forecast/orders at your earliest convenience.

The Bayer A1CNow+® point of care test system for glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), offers incredibly fast quantitative results utilising micro-optical technology integrated into a proprietary reusable monitor with single-use-cartridges. The Bayer A1CNow+® test requires 5 µL of whole blood (1 large drop) obtained with a fingerprick procedure.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,
First of all, the GlucoMen A1c test kit is a send off one- it's one test and you send it off and get results in around 3 days apparently. The relaunch of the A1c Now + machine as mentioned on the chek diagnostics page, has links to international sellers (I don't know if you've already checked this Spiker) and although the UK, Ireland and France ones aren't selling it, the German seller has a page on their website saying they will hopefully be distributing it from the second quarter of 2014 (so anytime now)! Shipping costs from Germany might be cheaper than from the U.S.?

This is the seller:

http://www.euromedix.com/

It doesn't have a specific URL for the right page, but if you go to products, then diabetes, then A1c Now + you'll find it :)

And here is what it says:

We are pleased to inform you that one of our business partners has acquired the A1CNow+® business from Bayer Consumer Care AG, Basel, Switzerland.
This includes the acquisition of the manufacturing plant in Sunnyvale, California.

As a result of this we will be in the possibility to continue the sales & supply of A1CNow+®.
The manufacturing is in a "Re-Start" modus right now.
We foresee to be able to ship product as of Q2 2014 (pending confirmation).
The retail pricing could possibly be the same as before, however, this needs to be confirmed.

We anticipate a delivery backorder in the beginning due to the high demand.
Therefore, please provide us with your forecast/orders at your earliest convenience.

The Bayer A1CNow+® point of care test system for glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), offers incredibly fast quantitative results utilising micro-optical technology integrated into a proprietary reusable monitor with single-use-cartridges. The Bayer A1CNow+® test requires 5 µL of whole blood (1 large drop) obtained with a fingerprick procedure.

Yes, I read the send away aspect of this product, which is a pity. The US one is like a glorified meter, so more favourable to me.

I have an American friend visiting the states currently, so might consider pleading a favour......

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a bad idea! x

Type One Diabetes since 2001, Coeliac Disease since 2003 ish, IBS, and on and off depression and diabulimia.

Current HbA1c 11.7% :(

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Bayer A1CNow+ is available in 10 test and machine packs for £138 from Miller Medical User. I have just ordered one and will try it out then post again

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Bayer A1CNow+ is available in 10 test and machine packs for £138 from Miller Medical User. I have just ordered one and will try it out then post again

Please do. I will be very interested in the ordering process, delivery times, and longevity of the tests. In other words, how long does one have to use up the 10 tests?

Many thanks.