Homemade spaghetti Bol sauce

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
hi I make my own homemade spaghetti Bol sauce with tinned toms, onion,herbs and garlic and a couple of fresh toms, can anyone tell me if this is bad for my diabetes type 2. I only have a small amount with butternut squash the cucumber things which I can't spell! I have always made this sauce thinking it's better than the readymade jars
Oh and I mix with beef mince and veg mince

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's exactly what I do no it doesn't seem to make any difference to my sugar levels as long as I bolus for the carbs in it. Everyone is different though. Just check before you eat it and a couple of hours after it to see if or how much your sugar has risen. I use courgetti instead of pasta and fry it off in a little garlic and butter.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way to find out. how it affects your BG levels is to test your BG s before eating and 2 hours after .I would check the carb content of the tomatoes some have added sugar
CAROL

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's exactly what I do no it doesn't seem to make any difference to my sugar levels as long as I bolus for the carbs in it. Everyone is different though. Just check before you eat it and a couple of hours after it to see if or how much your sugar has risen. I use courgetti instead of pasta and fry it off in a little garlic and butter.
Bolt
bolus?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rosiegough_
:)

That is how I make my homemade spag bol sauce too, and it doesn't even blip my blood glucose, unless I add the fancy stuff (like ketchup ;) )

Do you test your blood glucose before and after meals? That is the best way to see whether a food or a meal is affecting your blood glucose. You can buy your own testing kit if your surgery hasn't provided one for you. They often don't, because it costs too much.

Are you on insulin? If not, then bolus doesn't apply to you. There are various different types of insulin which are designed to act in different ways. Bolus insulin is the fast acting one that insulin-dependent diabetics inject with meals to control the glucose released from that meal.

Hope that helps.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I always weigh the amount of tomatoes and veg I am about to eat and then find out the carb content through an app. I use fatsecret but there are others. However, testing is the way to go if you really want to know what any food is doing to you.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do mince with onion, then add a couple of fresh tomatoes lots of mushrooms a sweet pepper and then simmer for a while before adding a tablespoon of sweet pickle.
Tomatoes, particularly tinned ones, tend to be fairly high carb so substituting a lower option is good as long as you like the results.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rosiegough_

I use the same method but have started to find the sauce too sweet - and I usually rise by about 1.5 mmols two hours after eating. Following advice on this forum, I've started adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to the sauce, which does take the edge off the sweetness.

Unfortunately mushrooms are not an option for me as I'm allergic.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Rosiegough_
:)

That is how I make my homemade spag bol sauce too, and it doesn't even blip my blood glucose, unless I add the fancy stuff (like ketchup ;) )

Do you test your blood glucose before and after meals? That is the best way to see whether a food or a meal is affecting your blood glucose. You can buy your own testing kit if your surgery hasn't provided one for you. They often don't, because it costs too much.

Are you on insulin? If not, then bolus doesn't apply to you. There are various different types of insulin which are designed to act in different ways. Bolus insulin is the fast acting one that insulin-dependent diabetics inject with meals to control the glucose released from that meal.

Hope that helps.
No medi just diet, only diagnosed 2weeks xx just got test thing just need to read all about how to use x

Reactions: Brunneria