honestly. give me strength

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your daughter deserves a huge pat on the back! And I was speaking as both a parent and a diabetic! I think sometimes it is tougher on close family to sit and watch health problems we would rather take on ourselves than watch being inflicted on our children! Your daughter was very brave and will hopefully feel empowered that she has resolved the situation by herself! She is probably tougher than you think! And this is a great sign she is getting her life back in order.

I inject regularly in public and with practice it is fairly easy to be discreet. Just make sure she realises she does not always need to hide away from the situation, but for the moment it is a victory!

Thank you for letting us know the outcome of the situation :)

Reactions: 8 people

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That's really horrible. Poor thing! No wonder she was upset.

Don't let her be bullied like that. "Some people don't like it"? Yeah, well tough luck. I bet your daughter likes having diabetes a thousand times less. Diabetes is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act. I've found the mere mention of that seems to concentrate most people's minds. If your daughter feels unable to talk to her manager by herself maybe you or a friend could go with her for support? I'd have been nervous and upset too at her age.

My own daughter has epilepsy and she's dealt with discrimination at her first job. In her case it was more ignorance than malice. So it may well be worth your daughter enlightening them about the DDA and also diabetes itself. It could be the manager is just ignorant or thoughtless.

Please keep us updated. I hope all goes well.
I am retired now, but I agree, like everyone else she is covered by the DDA. When I was diagnosed with T2 diet only, about 10 years ago, I went to work the following day, told my supervisor and office manager and was placed straight away under the works DDA.
I always used to try and book my diabetic nurse appointments outside of working hours - if I couldn't I was give time off without losing any of my leave.
You've got to be honest with an employer otherwise you could be breaking your contract to work.
We had a chap working there who used to inject at his desk, and someone objected, he went into the rest room to do it.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your daughter deserves a huge pat on the back! ... Your daughter was very brave and will hopefully feel empowered that she has resolved the situation by herself! She is probably tougher than you think! And this is a great sign she is getting her life back in order.

I inject regularly in public and with practice it is fairly easy to be discreet. Just make sure she realises she does not always need to hide away from the situation, but for the moment it is a victory!

Yes well done to her for speaking up and finding a reasonable solution.

As for injecting in public - if anyone comments on the poor people with needle-phobia being traumatised, just point out that there are plenty of people terrified of dogs and they aren't banned in public! (not to mention the ones who are actually allergic to them and get stuck on a train with one!!)