How big did your babies measure?

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
I got taken into the pregnancy clinic today as mum thought i was showing signs of pre-eclampsia as i had swollen feet, felt incredibly sick and my eye sight was blurry even though my blood sugars have been fairly good.

The midwife measured my little man today, i'm supposed to be 27+5 today, but my bump was measuring 33 weeks!
Was anyone else that big as this stage? I'm trying my hardest with my bms but i'm sure as you all can understand, it's easier said than done!

Also is it still save doing my Novo Rapid injections in my tummy?

Thanks in advance :D

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you're feeling better now. Did they find out why you were feeling so sick?

The bump measurements can vary. Once I had to have an extra scan as I was suddenly measuring 3 weeks behind, but when they did the scan everything was fine. The size of your bump can vary depending on baby's position - and who's doing the measuring. Did the midwife say anything about it? Have you had a growth scan yet?

I'm on a pump and I don't use my tummy for cannulas even if I'm not pregnant (poor absorption). I'd check with your DSN if you're worried about injecting there and they can advise you.

And yes, being diabetic and pregnant is very hard work! Nobody can get their sugars right all the time. I found testing after meals helped me keep my levels down and pick up when they were going high. Just keep levels as tight as you can and ask your team for help when you need it. I found all the extra support really useful and comforting too.

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I still feel awful the midwife just said it'll be all the stretching and growing.

I have a 28 week scan on Friday to see how his growth is midwife said it could be because I'm big and my partner was a big baby too

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thing is cause I also have fibromyalgia and hyper mobility syndrome the 3 fight each other so when I'm in pain my blood sugars spike then which isn't fun I suppose it's good I'm getting less hypers and lows

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Maryamy
Do you drink diet drinks or sugar free gum? I was fiagnosed with all sorts of illnessss for 20 years including fibromyalgia... It turns out I am not tolerant of anything that contains aspartame or sweeteners.... I only ask because I wouldn't want anybody else to go through what I have unnecessarily. Docs do not consider aspartame poisoning.....and fibromyalgia is listed as a side effect of aspartame thats in the majority of diet drinks etc...

Sorry can't help with size of babies though....

Best wishes though and hope everything goes welll....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still feel awful the midwife just said it'll be all the stretching and growing.

I have a 28 week scan on Friday to see how his growth is midwife said it could be because I'm big and my partner was a big baby too

It's good that the midwife was quite relaxed about it. The growth scan will give you a better idea. My hospital gave me a print out with a graph showing where my baby was growth-wise as compared to other babies of the same gestation.

Sorry to hear you have fibromyalgia and hyper mobility and are in pain. I hope it improves for you.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My oldest baby was 30 on Sunday (I can't believe it!) When I was expecting him and my bump was getting bigger, I asked the consultant if it was still OK to inject in my tummy. He seemed surprised I would ask and said I could. I presume obstetricians haven't changed their minds about that. . . . but it was a long time ago.

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maryamy
Do you drink diet drinks or sugar free gum? I was fiagnosed with all sorts of illnessss for 20 years including fibromyalgia... It turns out I am not tolerant of anything that contains aspartame or sweeteners.... I only ask because I wouldn't want anybody else to go through what I have unnecessarily. Docs do not consider aspartame poisoning.....and fibromyalgia is listed as a side effect of aspartame thats in the majority of diet drinks etc...

Sorry can't help with size of babies though....

Best wishes though and hope everything goes welll....
No i don't, i drink mainly water and sparkling water sometimes mixed with orange juice.
My Fibromyalga is related to the fact i've had alot of stress in my life, and also related to my Hyper Mobility Syndrome!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No i don't, i drink mainly water and sparkling water sometimes mixed with orange juice.
My Fibromyalga is related to the fact i've had alot of stress in my life, and also related to my Hyper Mobility Syndrome!

Good.. Not that it is good if you see what I mean....just checking to make sure that people don't go thru the same hell as me from a medical note that wasn't filed correctly and in 2003 I should have been told that I had a probable intolerance to seeeteners etc...

Wishing you well for birth of baby!!!

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm sorry but i did not ask for input on my fibromyalga. I just said it was a contributor to my high blood sugars and that it effects it. I asked for advice on my pregnancy with my diabetes.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Mary, I measured 3-4 weeks ahead from about 24 weeks, from both belly measurements and scans. My 36w scan estimated baby at 8.5 lbs and he arrived early (37w) weighing 8lb12 so the guesstimates were pretty accurate for me. I was a bit wary of jagging belly as I got bigger and mainly used legs/arms/bum, the odd occasion I used belly I did it as far round to the side as I could. I also switched to 4mm needles so there was no risk of going beyond fatty layer. That said, I had clexane injections in hospital near belly button and nurses said it wouldn't harm baby so I was probably just being over cautious.

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My needles are 5mm so am I ok on that note?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK, still a long time ago but my needles were half inch which is about 12mm, so you're fine.

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Had a Growth scan on Friday, hospital are happy baby's happy and healthy where he is at the moment :) x

Reactions: 2 people