How can I bring my Sugar Level Down?

TwilightGirl

Hi,

Sorry I am new to this, I feel awful at the minute my hands are shaking like mad I feel extremely dizzy I just did a blood glucose test and it says 12.8...How can I bring this down?

Please help

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try drinking lots of water.
Hope you feel better soon.
Angie

Tracey69

Hi
I would recommend you talk to your GP or diabetic nurse for some more INFO ON Diabetes. Do you feel nervous at all as this can make you feel bad.
Exercise can also keep your sugar down, even just a short walk.
Try testing pre meal bg and two hours after meal for about a week or two, it may be your carbohydrate in take is too high.
We are here to advice by our own experiences but remember we r all different.
Take care
Tracey

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
When did you test?

If you eat any carbohydrate your blood will spike in the hour after you've eaten it (this is true for non-diabetics too). The question is, how long does it take to return to a reasonable level.

The best indication is probably @ 2 hours after you eat. Some people also test @ 1 hour, but that's more difficult to interpret because some carbs are slower than others to be absorbed.

Whatever happens, you'll be alright until your Docs appointment on Monday

As the others have said:
  • Try and reduce the amount of carbs you eat*. The less you eat, the less your BG will spike. In your case you'll have to up the fat content of your diet a bit to compensate, because you can't eat too much protein.
  • Do a little gentle exercise, like some walking or something. It might not help immediately, but it will probably cause you BG to go down a bit later. Don't do anything too strenuous until you feel a little better
  • Don't get too stressed, you aren't in any danger. It's just the start of a (hopefully short) journey to get this under control

*especiallyy bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, anything with flour in it, or anything with lots of sugar

Good luck!

Stephen

TwilightGirl

Thank you for the advice. The time of my post is when I tested. I was testing before I went to bed as I really didnt feel to well.

I dont really eat sugary foods, I am not one for sweet stuff or anything. Carbs I do eat though, but very small portion I mainly fill my plate with Chicken and veg etc.

Today I have not felt well all day... My morning blood test was good it was 5.9 (well I believe that to be good?) That was at 8.30 am, then I did a test 1 hour before my lunch which was at 11 am this was 11.5. I then did another test at 2.11pm this was 8.2. And recently did another one which is an hour before food I did this at 4.55pm and this was 8.7.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Twilightgirl, what did you have for breakfast?

Ann