How can i change my routine and eat at regular times

Anne0257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,I was diagnosed with type 2 just over a month ago but my problem i have never really eaten at regular times,i never ate breakfast and only had lunch if i was hungry,so going from that to eating at regular times is making me feel sick and depressed,does anyone have any tips on how to manage this problem.I am on metformin 3 times aday and at the start i had a really upset stomach that has settled but the sicky feeling is still causing me problems.If anyone has any ideas or tips i would be grateful.

Anne

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Anna
If you are on the regular metformin you may feel less sickly on the SR version you can ask your DB nurse or GP to change it for you
I used to feel yucky at first and felt like I was forcing myself to eat Perhaps you could start with half a slice of Burgen toast in a morning with butter and Marmite if you like it .Some times when you have eaten something it kick starts your body into wanting more .If you just have a little something at regular times a bit of cheese or a handful of nuts maybe ,you could "train" your body to expect some food and build up from there . Take it slowly and dont worry too much
CAROL

Anne0257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Carol,Thank you for your reply,i do try a slice of toast for breakfast so i can take my meds.but because the last 3wks the metformin have man me feel really ill and upset my stmach,i could only eat very small amounts,and taking the metformin means my sugars are all over the place,How long does it usually take to show an improvement in youir levels.i know that until i can eat 3 times aday with meds it will take longer.Thank you for the tips i will try them out,I never did use to eat much anywayso getting type 2 diabetes was the wrong illness to fevelope really lol

thank you xxxxxxxxxxx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Anne,

Would it help to just have snacks at the moment? I often cant face a whole meal, but a snack it food too. Maybe some cheese, a bit of salad, some crackers? even a glass of milk if you like milk.

I had to go back to my doctors and get changed to the SR version of metformin. It is much easier to eat now because i dont feel sick all the time.

I dont know if you have other medications to take, I think you have emntioned in an inhaler? but my friends, who is a pharmacist, told me that changing the order I take my meds will help, and it did. Maybe your doctor or pharmacist could review your meds and the times you take them and see if they can help you?

best wishes.