How can I keep my Hands and Feet warm

KurvZ

Hi , just wondered if anyone can advise me if there is a way or something I can do to keep those hands and feet of mine warm ,
I'm a keen cyclist and right now I want to be out on my bike but Yesterdays ride proved to be to cold for me ..
I just cant keep the feet and hands warm at all , Ive tried different gloves two gloves windproof waterproof different combinations of socks winter boots , but I still have blocks of ice even thought the rest of my body is toasty warm ..

Yesterday I have thick wool hiking socks and some thick sealskinz on top on and still cold cold cold , Im wondering what the long term effect is off having such cold feet for like 6 hours at a time , will asked my nurse ..

so whats the miracle answer anyone combated this ?

thanks Dave

bedshaped2000

i have the same problem since diagnosed 3yrs ago. i find that when ive eaten something high in fat like cheese fish or nuts my hands and feet go cold and blood sugars drop to mid 4s to 5s. if i eat something more carby like potato or pasta my sugars rise and my hands and feet are like toast. My mrs laughs at me because i go upstairs to exercise on bike to get warm. i can literally feel the blood warm up through my hands and feet as i exercise. This year i got so fed up with the cold hands (i work outside on nights driving hgv) i brought 2 pairs of gloves. first pair were north face underlay gloves for skiers and the second pair of gloves were north face denali gloves. since i bought these my hands are always warm however they are not cheap there £20 a pair but i think it was well worth it because cold hands arent funny. mine were getting so cold that the tips of my fingers were looking shriveled like when you have been in the bath to long.

WhitbyJet

I feel for you, seriously cold hands and feet are no fun. I used to suffer terribly, mine was due to neuropathy. We even installed underfloor heating in addition to the central heating we already had and even that didn't help.
My soles would be warm but the top of my feet were still like ice cubes. I have lost the neuropathy now and the problem is solved.
You should seek medical advice for this problem as it may not be diabetes related. Anemia or thyroid conditions and even some medications can cause you to have cold hands and feet. Best get this checked out.
Incidentally thanks for your other post its very encouraging to hear how you have turned your life around, you are an inspiration.
Congratulations on losing so much weight and reducing your bg levels.
All the best

bedshaped2000

im still not on meds and every time i tell doctor they looked puzzled. their not cold to touch by other people just inside to me. before when i was large id walk out side in a t shirt. now im like the arctic hare lol

KurvZ

@Bedshapped ill look those Gloves up I have a pair of wind stopper gloves they dont work and I also got a pair of waterproof winter gloves that my daughter uses on here bike and say they are great , but dont work for me :( thanks

@WhitbyJet
Well I'm off to the doctors on Wednesday for my review and then again Friday for my full health check , for sure I'm mentioning these feet and hands , sitting here now with the heating on room is very hot my feet are cold and my hands are not as cold but still cold , I'm wearing think wool socks and slippers , so ill see what they Diabetic team have to say , if it is something else wanna get on to it straight away , the rest of me is comfy and warm ..My wife says its cause of my weight loss alone but I'm sure its not that as I worked in a Freezer when I was 17 and I was fat by any stretch of the imagination and I never got cold !!.
Thanks for the mention of my other post :) Merry Christmas all

bedshaped2000

kurz i used to be 22 stone and am now 13 and a half. ive gone from 52 inch waist to a 34 inch waist so it may just be that the weight loss is causing it because im the same as you my doctors cant find anything

KurvZ

@Bedshapped I was the same when I was in the 20+ stone bracket I never got cold but them I was 88% sugar lol , I'm on Meds two injection a day and 5 Pills , managing 100 miles aweek on the bike well not this week just cant go out again in that cold :( only managed 59 but I guess I gotta be sensible and not kill myself

KurvZ

Ah yeah simiular so maybe the wife is right Grrr shudder the thought I was 46 Waist now im 32" and 12 -10ish , but you would think if its because of the old natural thermal layer ive lost wearing think al;l wool socks and fleecy waterproof socks yesterday I would have retained some heat but nowt :( , well im glad you have found some heat with them gloves ...
Last year I nwas working in our storage warehouse and it went as low as -5 so not looking forward to that , ill be there on Tuesday hop its warmer , atleast my Transit has great heating :p

bedshaped2000

last year i got snowed in at yorkshire in my lorry stuck in a lorry park at -10 and only a apple left lol. i had to eat so i ended up buying rubbish for loads of moneyf rom the services and only eat half of it and ration it for the next 10 hrs because of the carb count. this year i carry a spare ration of granola and 90% chocolate in the tuppleware just in case. ps the -10 was out side . i was in the bunk at a nice 23c with my night heater on and a full tank of diesel :D

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly don't think weight is the issue with having cold hands and feet. I weigh almost 16st and I'm not a warm person. Even during the so called summer most days I had to wear a cardigan. I suffer terribly with cold hands and feet they are always cold I just think it's the way I am.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Yes i suffer with cold hands and feet in the winter and find it hard to warm them up, have you tried thermal socks and gloves, they do say the best thing to keep warm is to apply layers of clothing
i know it may mean having bigger boots but if it keeps you warm it maybe worth it. Hope you find the perfect answer to your problem.

Tracey167

AMBrennan

Note that any active heating product (chemical self-heating gel pads, electric warming blankets, etc.) are not suitable for diabetics (according to the product description).

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
AMBrennan said:
Note that any active heating product (chemical self-heating gel pads, electric warming blankets, etc.) are not suitable for diabetics (according to the product description).
Just Wait, An engineer will turn up with a solution :lol:
Just hope it's not Set fire to a Statistician :lol: ( A Joke, Honest)

AMBrennan

I assume that these products are approved for use by people who would notice them getting abnormally hot and stop using them (i.e. they can only cause injury if someone keeps in contact with them despite the item being painfully hot to touch - which would, presumably, somewhat undermine any potential lawsuits).

I did not say that you cannot use them (I obviously cannot stop you from doing that), or that I wouldn't use them (I am reasonably sure that I would notice them getting too hot) - I merely pointed out that the manufacturers say that the products are not suitable for diabetics.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked up the Diabetes uk site and the gloves are no longer available :(
carol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dave,

Assuming you don't have circulation problems to the hands and feet then I am unsure what the answer is, all that extra clothing would have me wringing wet! :?

You could try and ask your local motorcycle dealership for suitable hand and footwear, when I had motorcycles there was some fantastic products that would keep you warm even in the coldest of temperatures, they are not as bulky as they once were and would be suitable for cycling around London.

midiman

I feel for you, seriously cold hands and feet are no fun. I used to suffer terribly, mine was due to neuropathy. We even installed underfloor heating in addition to the central heating we already had and even that didn't help.
My soles would be warm but the top of my feet were still like ice cubes. I have lost the neuropathy now and the problem is solved.
You should seek medical advice for this problem as it may not be diabetes related. Anemia or thyroid conditions and even some medications can cause you to have cold hands and feet. Best get this checked out.
Incidentally thanks for your other post its very encouraging to hear how you have turned your life around, you are an inspiration.
Congratulations on losing so much weight and reducing your bg levels.
All the best
Hi, how did you lose the neuropathy?

Thanks