How can I reduce pre-breakfast readings?

Dipsy

I'm about 30 weeks pregnant and want to avoid insulin this pregnancy. I've been having high readings before breakfast for the last week or two and want to bring them down. My recent HbA1c was 5.3, and a low carb diet seems to be working for me otherwise. I know that if I phone in results of 6.6 or similar for pre-breakfast that they'll want me on the long acting insulin - I'm supposed to be 5.5 or below.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You are alreaady on a low carb diet, so doing the right thing. Try having a low carb snack at bedtime. a piece of cheese on a low carb cracker perhaps. How much exercise are you getting? Are you swimming? that's good and won't hurt.
What is your bedtime reading?
I'm not pregnant, but even if I go to bed at 4.8, I wake up at 5.2 That dawn phenomenon is FRUSTRATING!
Hana

Dipsy

Hmm...exercise - hardly any, I'm afraid. My back isn't in a good state right now which added to my general lazy nature really makes me quite sedentary. I'll try the snack though, and make sure I test at bedtime so I can see what is going on. Thanks Hana!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dipsy
If it is dawn phenomenon, there's no easy answer.
I would still try some exercise though. There's probably someone at your nearest local authority sports ccentre, who can help, without hurting your back. Can you walk? If you live near me, I can lend you a dog or 2 :lol:
Hana

Dipsy

With dawn phenomena, does it indicate the blood sugar is high all night, or is it just a blip in the morning? Should I try to test in the night to find out?