How can I stop losing weight?

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to cut my carbs in order to manage my diabetes better. This year i have lost 4lb - which may not seem a lot but I now weigh 8st 7lb, which is apparently one stone under weight for my height. My partner is currently trying to lose weight so I can't really serve larger portions. Any ideas that won't send my BG sky high?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am trying to cut my carbs in order to manage my diabetes better. This year i have lost 4lb - which may not seem a lot but I now weigh 8st 7lb, which is apparently one stone under weight for my height. My partner is currently trying to lose weight so I can't really serve larger portions. Any ideas that won't send my BG sky high?

I too am trying to put on weight. Now eating butter (rather than olive oil spread), full fat cheese and more meat. Being doing this for 6 weeks now, not put any weight on, but not lost any more. Ian

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I note from your Information that you don't appear to have a long-acting 'daily' insulin? This seems a bit unusual when you do have the rapid insulin? Perhaps a Basal/Bolus regime would give you some background insulin to keep your levels a bit lower during the whole day. You shouldn't then need to cut the carbs quite so much and gain a bit of weight? Might be worth discussing with the DN. Perhaps you do have long-acting but left it off your Info in which case increasing the Rapid balanced by more carbs should cause some weight increase

elaine77

Are you on insulin yet as that apparently helps weight gain? I'm not on insulin yet and my DSN has also commented that she is concerned that I have lost 4kg in 6months, taking my BMI down to 20. She says that's fine but she doesn't want me to drop any lower and so, like Ian, I do high fat, low GI carb so I eat full fat milk, cream, cheese, butter etc... And so far I've not lost anymore weight.. Also, ur health is just as important as your partners, if you need more food and he needs less then that's what will have to be done....

It's so difficult to not lose weight when we can't really eat all of things that make people fat? Just goes to show that fat doesn't make you fat and that it's actually carbs and sugar!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shelly
I have also lost a lot of weight through restricting my carbs. My case is a bit unusual as I was diagnosed whilst pregnant. I wouldn't say I go particularly low carb but do control them to prevent the peaks. I have always been very active and enjoy keeping fit although since I had a baby I haven't been anywhere near as full on as I used to be.
One thing I would say is that although I have lost weight and some people seem concerned about it - I feel good. I have plenty of energy and it works for me. For me that is a better indicator than my BMI.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm taking 500 mg Metformin MR after lunch and Novarapid after evening meal, dose depends on food eaten. May ask to see DSN before next scheduled appointment if I lose any more weight. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions

Bill1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 10kg since I was dx in november.Have been low carbing since and my bs have been excellent. however my dn is now concerned with my loss of weight. Have tried eating more fat and protein and seemed to have stopped losing weight for now. Im a builder by trade and if I have a busy day my weight just drops. Wish there was a food I could eat that would keep my weight up and not effect my bs.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . . .

I had similar problems to the OP and some posters here . . . I discovered that a Ketogenic diet was brilliant for controlling my blood-sugar levels, but I had the problem that I continued to lose weight on it. I didn't want to make changes to my eating routine because I liked it, and it was so successful for my blood-sugars.

I hit upon the solution of putting Coconut Oil in my coffees. I always drink 2 or 3 large coffees during my working day. If I put a dollop of Coconut Oil (say 20g) in each then I have added 500+ kCal to my daily intake. For me this was a very easy solution. I've seen recent discussions on this forum regarding the topic of how to take Coconut Oil, and some really hate the idea of putting it in coffee/tea. But if you don't mind this idea it's a really easy way to add a lot of kCals to your diet. For me, at least, it doesn't affect blood-sugar levels at all.

Regards,
Antony

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I would like to give coconut oil a go, but expensive at around £20 to £30 per litre. Any advise on where to purchase?

Bill1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks Antony I will give this a try.I have to have 3000 kc per day as I have an active job and workout 6 times a week. Have thought about cutting back the gym but find it helps me at work.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to give coconut oil a go, but expensive at around £20 to £30 per litre. Any advise on where to purchase?

Hi Ian,

I am out here in Germany so I don't know if my experience applies where you are. I noticed that prices for Coconut Oil here are very expensive in the Supermarkets and Health Food stores that stock it. Happily I found that in the local Indian and Asian food stores it's available at much lower cost . . . much less than half the Supermarket price.

thanks Antony I will give this a try.I have to have 3000 kc per day as I have an active job and workout 6 times a week. Have thought about cutting back the gym but find it helps me at work.

Good luck Bill with the change . . . if you will be taking lots of Coconut Oil to help get you up to 3000 kCal then there is one thing to warn you about . . . I politely phrase it as "loose stool" ;)

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problem. I stopped the weight loss by adding good fats wherever I could. You don't need to add much fat to get lots of calories. An olive oil dressing on salads is a good source of calories, avocado cut into salads, a handful of walnuts, olives, add cream to coffee, have a blob of cream on some sugar-free jelly, or on a few strawberries, melt some butter on your vegetables and so on.

Smidge