Type 2 How Do I Restart ??

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi not posted for years, but look at the site now and again for answers, support and inspiration.

Wonder if you can help motivate me to give coping with this nightmare one more try. (sorry for rant below)

I'm 52 was diagnosed about 15-18 years ago and to be honest have never got to grips with it. BS have almost never been in the perfect range (above 4 - below 10) even when I've tried my hardest. Normally now they are around 7.5 to 9.5 in mornings but between 12-18 at night. I have been through what I now realize was Diabetic Burnout - been treated for depression and am currently on Insulin and Metformin.

I just cant seem to crack the eating correctly - lose weight - take meds regularly and exercise
. I want to and go on mini efforts to be a good diabetic, but usually give up after a couple of months. Usually shortly after one of my clinics where I feel Im doing good only to get negative feedback from Doctors or nurses, - well done but not enough. food is my comfort blanket when Im down. It should be enjoyable and not just fuel.

I've been through and at times are still feel "Well if Im being told Im going to die anyway then I may as well enjoy what I eat and drink and to hell with it. I'm worth more to the wife and kids dead than alive anyway." However with 2 young kids (12) I know and should want to stay around for a long time.

Like most overweight / depressed people - I can make almost every excuse under the sun as to why I cant do this or that, but one thing in my defence is my knees are shot - take Co-Codamol daily to cope with constant pain. Although doctors give it the normal its because you are overweight.

Tried LowCarb HiFat last year and for a while it worked, but eventually after being admitted to hospital with gallstones (never got them out) then sepsi and kidney failure - was told to come off it as although I lost at least a stone - it was potentially the reason I got the Gallstones in the first place ? Result - f*#k it mentality - stopped all meds for about a month put on the weight I lost and felt ****.

About a month ago had to have lazer eye treatment due to problems at the back of my eyes - diabetes related.

Lastly I fear that all the clinics I go to is now being noticed and jotted down by my employers and could count against me in the future. so dont want to continually run back to them looking for pills etc that I probably wont take regularly when I get fed up

Sorry folks but cant think of anywhere to reach out to so thanks for listening

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear you.
There is a point, when the weight is high, and the energy levels are low, and you wake up feeling like death every day, that it just gets too much, doesn't it?
The prospect of changing seems pretty insurmountable.
Especially with health care professionals doing their 'never good enough' thing.

Are you the kind of person to does big sweeping over-achieving diet and exercise programmes that crash and burn? Or do you do small incremental changes that peter out for lack of motivation?

The reason I ask is because if previous efforts have failed, then maybe try something different? Have a think about all the things you have done in the past, and choose to do it consciously differently this time. Slower, faster, whatever - just not the same repeating not-success.

Oh, and just a wee comment about the gallstones. Your month or so of LCHF won't have caused the gallstones. They don't develop that fast. They usually take years to develop, and can lie there silently for a long time. Often caused (ironically) by low fat eating, because the less fat we eat, the less we empty our gall bladder, so the contents hang around too long and start to form stones. They can be forming for YEARS before you notice them. The reason your stones flared up and caused problems when you switched to HF, is because suddenly your gall bladder was being asked to work properly, and the stones were already there.

- not much help to you, I know, but at least it will give you a better understanding of why.

So now (unfortunately) whatever diet regime you choose, you will have to tailor your fat intake to what your body can tolerate. But if you start gently, and go slowly, you should be able to work out how much you can tolerate.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Hibby65 :)

Well, you've taken a massive first step here - being brave enough to explain your problems :)

I have Type 1 not Type 2, but the way I deal with the diabetes is a determination not to let the bl@@dy thing beat me. I take great pleasure in getting an in-range blood test result and mentally sticking my fingers up at the big D.

As for the eating, I've found that on the occasions when I've been organised enough to do a weekly menu planner, my diet has been healthier. I know what I'm eating and don't have to,stand in the kitchen hungry and looking around for what to,eat. I also avoid temptation by not buying things that I know I'll have no self-control about, but I still allow myself regular small treats because I find that motivating and stops me dreaming about 'bad' food.

Finally, don't let the clinic staff get you down. In the end, the only person who matters is you. If you know you've done your best and have done well, then don't let them bring you down.

Take tiny steps and mentally reward yourself for every little,success.

Reactions: 4 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know whether this will help or not, but many of us have been in your situation. It's really difficult to be given the label of this disease, and then told to go away and get your sugar levels normal. It's simply not that easy.
I get the diet burnouts too, especially when I have it in my head that I'm on a "diet". A diet implies that it is temporary and someday we won't have to follow it anymore.
For us diabetics, I don't think that it is the case. We need to find the balance between eating healthily, and being able to maintain that healthy way of living. Go too far too fast, and the diet will crash and burn. Make simple, long term changes, and it will take longer, but it will work.

Something that really narks me about being T2 and the NHS is that the professionals can't see past the weight. We all know that obesity is a major cause of this disease that we have, but the NHS has got it wrong. They believe that if we all lose weight, then we will be free of our diabetes.
I personally believe that if we aim to stabilise our diabetes, then the weight loss will happen in a more long term, sustainable way.

Keep posting on here - like you've I've been here on and off for quite a few years, but I find that when I'm here more regularly, I'm better at coping. Support matters!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You have done well to admit that you fell off the wagon.
I have only been type2 for just over 2 years, I started off well then I thought sod it.
My blood levels were all over the place but just didn't, t care
In March I was diagnosed as having bipolar, and the pdoc said I could have had that for years .
Now I am on the right medication, but alas the meds I am on, are notorious for affecting blood sugar levels, and my pdoc is working with me re the meds, and he was the one that had warned me about the side effect. So I am on a low dose. Pdoc knows I am type2. So far the meds are working for me to keep my moods at a even keel.
At that point I knew I had to turn around my life. My blood sugar levels are so good at the moment by eating half what I used to.and no cheating. Have lost weight as well.
Unlike you I am not on Insulin so I have no idea how that helps or works
Just to say we are here to help you

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh, and just a wee comment about the gallstones. Your month or so of LCHF won't have caused the gallstones. They don't develop that fast. They usually take years to develop, and can lie there silently for a long time. Often caused (ironically) by low fat eating, because the less fat we eat, the less we empty our gall bladder, so the contents hang around too long and start to form stones. They can be forming for YEARS before you notice them. The reason your stones flared up and caused problems when you switched to HF, is because suddenly your gall bladder was being asked to work properly, and the stones were already there.

- not much help to you, I know, but at least it will give you a better understanding of why.

This is exactly right and the reason I lost my gallbladder. Low fat is not the way our bodies were designed to work.

Reactions: 2 people

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone,

I'm very moved by those kind people who replied and gave some real answers and kind support.

This is my first step to hopefully a better me, and l felt l had to reach out to those who know what it's like.

Family and loved ones try to support but don't understand the daily (hourly) struggle we face.

I think the advice of small steps and goals is a good one and tomorrow morning is a start of a new better me. Thank you

Reactions: 4 people