How do people feel about the work of Dr Bernstein?

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
I know Dr Bernstein is big in the US but I was wondering how people in the UK feel about him.
Has anyone tried to use the advice in his book to alleviate symptoms?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never read his book and never will tbh, he's dietary advice is far too strict for the majority of people and the bg numbers he aims for would inevitably mean I'd lose my hypo awareness symptoms, which consequently would mean losing my driving licence.

Also from reading this and other forums I find his views outdated, I mean why doesn't he like insulin pumps?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've read it, and I've read lots of other books on the subject. Gary Taubes is a goody. So is wheat belly. As soon as I found out I was diabetic I became a voracious reader on the subject.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I've read it, and I've read lots of other books on the subject. Gary Taubes is a goody. So is wheat belly. As soon as I found out I was diabetic I became a voracious reader on the subject.
What did you think of it?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Bernstein is geared towards Type 1's, though the principle is similar to what type 2's should be doing. Taubes makes a lot of sense with plenty of research to back it all up. I don't think its hard to do, but like anything in life you have to make the effort. Diabetes is a scary disease, and I think its just not good enough to send people away with a leaflet. There just isn't the financial incentives to encourage diabetics to eat 'right'. And that too is short sighted.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished the book. Fascinating.

It is basically advocating a very hardcore low carb diet with very tight blood glucose controls and medication closely tailored to the individual.

As a type 2, I didn't feel the book was weighted/aimed disproportionately at type 1s, although there was a lot of info about medication that I don't (yet) need. Although I thought his Law Of Small Numbers was delightfully sensible. And I profoundly respect the man's discipline, curiosity and dedicated endurance.

He also advocates a tough, strenuous exercise regime.

The diet advice was very basic, very strict, and a small part of the book (mainly because it was so low carb).

My gut feeling is that hitting Berstein's diet running would be a recipe for disaster. Most people will fall off the wagon very quickly. He makes frankly silly comments suggesting people should dramatically cut their food intake, try it for 2 weeks and if they are too hungry, then make an appt to discuss diet changes with their physician before adding in extra foods.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, most human beings would have been unable to endure the extreme diet reduction, and fallen head first into cream cakes by day 4. He acknowledges carb cravings in overweight type 2s, and gives techniques to cope, but I don't feel that he actually empathises with their severity.

If you tend towards extreme diets, like the Newcastle, then Berstein's is for you - but if that's the case, you are probably already counting your calories while quaffing diet shakes already.

Me? I think it was an interesting read, but easing more gently into low carbing is more sustainable in the long run. That it certainly my experience. Others may have completely different experiences.

Mind you, testing foods and fully understanding how your body deals with the foods you put in it always has to be a good idea - and that is one of his core messages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bernstein is geared towards Type 1's, though the principle is similar to what type 2's should be doing. Taubes makes a lot of sense with plenty of research to back it all up. I don't think its hard to do, but like anything in life you have to make the effort. Diabetes is a scary disease, and I think its just not good enough to send people away with a leaflet. There just isn't the financial incentives to encourage diabetics to eat 'right'. And that too is short sighted.

Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for them to remind people that margarine is a trans fat grain oil.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that Bernstein's diet is unnecessary for the T1s he is aiming at. He is by no means the only T1 of his age, there are many others with good but less tight control than he advocates that have survived without complications.
At lunchtime, I had a meal containing 4 times the amount of cherry tomatoes he suggests, plus some radishes, some lambs lettuce some cheese and horror of horror a slice of nut bread and a few cherries. I went for a five mile walk with almost no insulin being released from my pump. (he doesn't like pumps though) My pre dinner glucose level was a bit low at 3.4mmo/l (and I'd had a glucose tab mid walk). I don't need to keep my carbs down to the level he suggests and cannot see why it would be healthy to reduce my meal to the cheese and 12g carb from a small sample of vegetables do so,

I am particularly concerned with his (and other peoples) advocacy of his principles to parents of children and young people with diabetes. This blogger says it far better than I can
http://www.thebuttercompartment.com/?p=1470

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Are you T1 phoenix?
I know Dr Bernstein is big in the US but I was wondering how people in the UK feel about him.
Has anyone tried to use the advice in his book to alleviate symptoms?
It may have an effect on BG but alleviating symptoms is another thing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you T1 phoenix?

It may have an effect on BG but alleviating symptoms is another thing.

Berstein claims that after decades (40+ years) of his diet, which basically keeps BG to middling normal levels at all times, that most complications, including vision and neuropathy have self corrected for him. He does say that some problems (deformed feet, I think) have not improved.

I have no reason to doubt him, but do not believe that such challengingly low BG levels are necessary to prevent the complications developing. Jenny Ruhl provides plenty of evidence (bloodsugar101.com) to suggest that an HbA1c of 5.9% or below, and a peak BG of around 6.6 reduces the risk of complications to near normal. Please someone, correct me if I've misquoted Ruhl's figs.