How do we convince the healthcare professionals.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was a lower carber for pretty much 30 + years.
However due to stomach problems I've had to change. I only eat veg as stomach doesn't handle meat at all.
So my carbs now can be up to 150 a day of pure food.. Nothing processed or ready meals.
Even though I now have large amounts of carbs (up to 5 times a day more than I used to) I cannot put any weight on.
I'm having a cholesterol test this week and another in 3 months so will be able to monitor how vege living suits my bloods...
I think as our lives change, sometimes what has worked previousy no longer does and forces change. May be to lchf from hclf but its finding our own ways and doing the best we can.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A low carb diet is not exactly a novel way of treating diabetes, it was first(?) used in the 1790s, and LCHF was cartainly being used in its treatment in the pre insulin era - see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16489278. So there's existing evidence that it works. It seems to me that it's a matter of "lost" treatment needing to be re-discovered.

And we currently have Trudi Deakin from X-Pert Health batting for us; she wrote Eat Fat which is an introduction guide to low carb, so the message is spreading. I believe she's a member of our forum.

Dr David Unwin who is a forum member, is also an advocate of low carb diets for diabetics, and has published his research in the prestigious BMJ.

My own GP was also enlightened enough to suggest the Atkins diet for weight loss when he diagnosed me at the end of 2013 with type 2. I didn't actually try Atkins but this pointed the way to LCHF to me.

So we do now have some people in the right places who hopefully are being heard and noted.

Robbity
My GP didn`t recommend lchf but he did say that I should try and educate myself as much as possible and, when my hbaic started to come down, he was the first to congratulate and tell me to keep doing what I was dong as it obviously works. I have also never had a problem getting test strips off him (50 a month).

Reactions: 8 people