How do you carry yours ?

Daz

The main problem with me is that I always forget to carry my Insulin pen and meter with me when I go out, Now women of course have handbags so this is easy for them, but how do you guys carry your stuff about ?

Might seem like a daft question but it is a genuine one for me so please, no sarcastic answers :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband carries all his supplies AND newspaper, library book and bottle of lucozade in his lightweight backpack. It's just a daysack from Blacks.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
a backpack would probably be the best idea, or if that does not suit your image or workplace, how about the kind of hand luggage bag that you sometimes get to match your luggage ... it doesn't look too "man-baggy" (think: Friends and Joey - not a good look) or maybe even an old portable CD player bag - they're inexpensive now that everyone (except me) has an iPod and highly unnoticeable.

Best, Jemxo

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I carry one of those man bag things, there again as I always walk with either a stick or crutches it makes sense. I don't care what it looks like, I care that I can carry everything I want, or need.

If I go out for the day it will normally carry my small laptop, 3G modem, iPod, cigarettes, pen, book, keys and mobile phone, now it'll just have to fit the kit to test my blood and glucotabs as well.

Mine does look a bit like the old WWII respirator bags, so perhaps it doesn't look quite so bad.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
do you know - I was thinking that a slimline laptop bag would look good - however you run the risk of being mugged!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll 'fess up to carrying a manbag. It solves a multitude of problems, carrying drawings, bike locks, phone, wallet, diary, notebook, sweeties and my delightful range of diabetic accessories. I'll have to come to terms with the sartorial shame I suppose. No, wait, I actually like it! Two fingers to the fashion police I say!

All the best,

fergus

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
fergus said:
I'll 'fess up to carrying a manbag. It solves a multitude of problems, carrying drawings, bike locks, phone, wallet, diary, notebook, sweeties and my delightful range of diabetic accessories. I'll have to come to terms with the sartorial shame I suppose. No, wait, I actually like it! Two fingers to the fashion police I say!

All the best,

fergus

It's those shoes I worry about...fashion police Ha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thirsty

I normally take my camera with me when out and about. All the diabetes gear and other health gubbins easily fits into a small camera bag.

Jem

Dislikes
actually - my husband carries a man bag - it's khaki ex-military so it's manly enough for him ;) ... I fully support the carrying of man bags ... it means I can shove my stuff in and not have to take a handbag - which I detest! thanks!

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I'll also have to recommend Crumpler bags they are designed for carrying cameras and laptops, among other things. I have one of their pretty boy photographic bags and they are pretty **** good.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i carry my insulin pens in my pocket with my mobile phone.

I carry my meter on my belt or belt loops. It's become a habit now that i just have to take it everywhere i go,

Either that, or Laura carries my meter for me in her bag :D but i always carry my insulin in my pocket.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I bought a repro gas mask bag in blue, it cost £2.50 and is great for work and flying.
I have my tester, ipod, mobile, pda in it day to day and add a book, juice and snacks when flying.
And it doesn't look like a man-bag. :D

DiabeticSkater

I keep my insulin pen in the pocket of my tester kit along with some glucose and some tablets. this is usually kept in my rucksak which also contains plenty of backups. carry it nearly everywhere. but looking for something smaller. If me and my girl go anywhere I use her handbag. but thats only if its a social occasion where a rucksack isnt really workable.

What I find really shocking is the fact that nobody has a range of good quality bags for type 1 needs. :roll: :shock:

thinking about something like this
http://www.tiso.com/shop/berghaus/e-cas ... =99&_cid=1
just about the right size and very good quality.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Daz said:
The main problem with me is that I always forget to carry my Insulin pen and meter with me when I go out, Now women of course have handbags so this is easy for them, but how do you guys carry your stuff about ?

Might seem like a daft question but it is a genuine one for me so please, no sarcastic answers :lol:

Not a daft question at all. When I was presented with all the gubbins and told to have it with me I had to buy a new handbag (as my current one at the time and only 1 month old bag was too small!) at that time I said to my hubby how on earth do men manage to cary all this.......and now I know :D

Daz

Well after looking at everybodys posts Ive gone for a "Courier" type bag which seems to do the trick :D

Jem

Dislikes
long strap with a large flap over the front?

good choice ;) manly AND roomy :):)

Jem

Dislikes
ooohhh you label fiend you - nice work ;)

trunkers67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone use a Desang Classic kit bag?? I'm thinking of getting one, but want to know if anyone has any experience with one?? At the moment, i'm using a messenger bag, but its way too big for me - 2 pens, blood meter, and all the other gubbings!!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i've been considering a satchel type bag recently... FatFace do mens ones so it would look alright i think! i dont know though... My meter is usually in my coat pocket now... and my insulin pens in my pocket... but soon to be pumping hopefully to that'll solve the pens in pock issue!