How do you prevent "site burnout" (injections)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes it'll hurt (burning) and bruise when I give my injections. I only do them on my stomach and occasionally my arms, because my thighs bruise easily, how do y'all manage that bit of injection giving?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What insulins are you on and what length needles do you use?

I don't think it's possible to avoid all bruising sadly. All I used to do (on pump now) was pinch up carefully, use a short needle and not rush.

Have you tried your bum? That's another option.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
What insulins are you on and what length needles do you use?

I don't think it's possible to avoid all bruising sadly. All I used to do (on pump now) was pinch up carefully, use a short needle and not rush.

Have you tried your bum? That's another option.
My DSN told me not to pinch up. I mainly do my belly with a 4mm (32G) needle. There are some sites that do hurt and bruise especially the lower and more midline you go in my experience. I've tried my bum but need a mirror lol and it's tricky. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My DSN told me not to pinch up. I mainly do my belly with a 4mm (32G) needle. There are some sites that do hurt and bruise especially the lower and more midline you go in my experience. I've tried my bum but need a mirror lol and it's tricky. :)

Do what your nurse advises :) I was told to pinch up from the beginning. We're all different and it depends on body composition and needle length, etc :)

Yes, the bum is tricky, but I've perfected the art of twisting my head carefully and kind of peering over my shoulder and down my back. The fun of diabetes!:D

Edited to add - or sometimes under my arm (just stood up to have a go!)

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sometimes it'll hurt (burning) and bruise when I give my injections. I only do them on my stomach and occasionally my arms, because my thighs bruise easily, how do y'all manage that bit of injection giving?

The bruising is mainly caused by the breakage of the tiny capillary blood vessels that lie close to the skins surface, it's nothing to worry about and often can't be prevented unfortunately.

Also some people who are on blood thinners tend to bleed/bruise more than others from injections, my father bruised terribly but he was on a drug called Warfarin.

Own tips is to use a new needle each time and don't force the insulin in too help ease the discomfort.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The bruising is mainly caused by the breakage of the tiny capillary blood vessels that are lie close to the skins surface, it's nothing to worry about and often can't be prevented unfortunately.

Also some people who are on blood thinners tend to bleed more than others with injections, my father bruised terribly but he was on a drug called Warfarin.

Own tips is to use a new needle each time and don't force the insulin in too help ease the discomfort.
I do 84 IU in the morning and do two jabs. I get less bruising if I do a combo of 42 then 42. I used to do 60 then 24 and the larger jab was sore and bruised and occasionally leaked. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do 84 IU in the morning and do two jabs. I get less bruising if I do a combo of 42 then 42. I used to do 60 then 24 and the larger jab was sore and bruised and occasionally leaked. :)

That makes sense Eddie, it's quite a big dose to administer in one go.

As for insulin leakage, I was told to leave the needle in the skin and count to 12 slowly before withdrawing it, it does work to some degree :)

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That makes sense Eddie, it's quite a big dose to administer in one go.

As for insulin leakage, I was told to leave the needle in the skin and count to 12 slowly before withdrawing it, it does work to some degree :)
I actually think the pre-filled insulin pens caused bruising too as they are not as smooth in the "plunge" phase as compared to cartridge filled pens. I use a Savio pen and cartridges now, been using them for 6 months and less bruising as it's a smoother injection with less resistance when plunging down. :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe someone could do a Poll on bruising: Pre filled pens vs Cartidge filled pens. Might show some interesting results. :)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I use tummy for bolus and upper legs for basal can't get the hang of it in my arms and not tried my bum

Slow and steady injecting but sometimes especially novorapid (belly) sometimes sticks and sometimes feels like it stings a little

Toujeo pen is easier to administer and I inject a sizeable amount into the top of my legs without any stinging or bruising

I'm on 210 units Toujeo currently titrating once a day and on a 5 units to 10g carbs ratio for novorapid with food

I have been told never to pinch skin or use insulin taken straight out of the fridge to let it remain at room temp for 3 hours before use but I guess we have all been advised different methods by our respective teams

Good luck to the OP

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use tummy for bolus and upper legs for basal can't get the hang of it in my arms and not tried my bum

Slow and steady injecting but sometimes especially novorapid (belly) sometimes sticks and sometimes feels like it stings a little

Toujeo pen is easier to administer and I inject a sizeable amount into the top of my legs without any stinging or bruising

I'm on 210 units Toujeo currently titrating once a day and on a 5 units to 10g carbs ratio for novorapid with food

I have been told never to pinch skin or use insulin taken straight out of the fridge to let it remain at room temp for 3 hours before use but I guess we have all been advised different methods by our respective teams

Good luck to the OP
Same here, no pinching and no cold insulin.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting how such an everyday event can cause so much hassle and suffering to us lot.
Yet another issue that people just don't give a second thought about, by people l refer to those who are not jabbing themselves countless times.
As for the pinch or no pinch issue, I was under the impression that years ago with the old "proper" needles and there actual length if you didn't pinch you were highly likely to inject into muscle and we know the problems that causes. With the development of the new needles there length takes away the need to pinch as they are designed to just penetrate the surface and not hit muscle.
If only I hear you shout.
Pinch or no pinch I've never found it really makes a great difference to me.
When it hurts it bloody hurts no matter what.