how long does it take for gliclazide to work

andy_hull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi

i am a new t2 was put on 4*500mg metfromin a day from oct 08, it has done done much to my hba1c gone from 9.4 to 9.0 so my nurse has put me on 80mg of gliclozide to take after my breakfast, she also warned me about a slight chance of hypos so i took it for the first time this morning my results are:

fasting test at 10:00 12.3 then had weetabix with skimmed milk

2 hour test at 12:00 17.7

i was hoping my bg would have gone down i am overwieght at 104kg, i am going on a proper diet on monday. but i am avoiding sugar

i do exersize 5 x 30 minutes a day but even that puts my bg up by 2.0 - 2.5 points

i have only had diabeties for 2 months but nothing seems to be working and i'm fed up with it now

andy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Andy.
None of the medications prescribed are wonder drugs. We have to help them to do their work.
Most people reduce their carbohydrate intake at the same time to try and achieve lower Bg levels, and to reduce weight.

The Weetabix in particular is high in carbohydrates so I would suggest that may not have been an ideal start to the day, especially as pre meal your Bg was high. That is why your 2 hr test was even higher.

It is not just sugars you need to avoid, it is Carbohydrates which include sugars, read the total carb content of any foods. That is THE important number, not sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or maybe reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If your fasting level was taken at 10am were you doing anything previous to that or was that when you actually woke ? Any activity could make your Bg levels rise significantly. If that was a true fasting level then it is possible you may have been a victim of Dawn Phenomenon. This is when your body dumps extra glucose into your blood to prepare you for the day ahead. Elevating your Bg levels.

Exercise is another confusing one, it can elevate your Bg levels, it can also decrease them as well. Only way to find out is by testing before during and after exercise.

Don't despair, it is all a bit confusing at first but we here will do our best to help you and advise where we can.

Reactions: 2 people

andy_hull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thankyou cugila for your quick response, and yes it's all a but of a blur you seem to need to be a doctor yourself to understand diabetes and how everything effects your body. When I took my first metformin tablet I thought I would be back to normal the next day lol, I will watch the total carbs on the food labels.

I have two training days in January provided by NHS Hull, the first one is called understanding diabetes and the 2nd is called managing carbs. One question I am going to ask is why they don't just give everyone insulin rather than messing about with all the tablets.

I woke up at 10am so did nothing before by first blood test.

Agian thankyou for your reply i feel less panicy now

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
andy_hull said:
I have two training days in January provided by NHS Hull, the first one is called understanding diabetes and the 2nd is called managing carbs. One question I am going to ask is why they don't just give everyone insulin rather than messing about with all the tablets.

Insulin.....can be the best thing since ......sliced bread (not !).

A lot of people, myself included try to avoid going onto Insulin because it can cause weight gain. Now, as someone who has lost over 5 stone since January why would I want to do that ? I may have to because of an unrelated problem I now have which is affecting my BG levels, however it is certainly not through choice. I can manage the tablets and my diet very well. It just took a little time to get used to everything.

Be aware also that there are many other alternatives which can decrease blood glucose levels and weight very efficiently, Byetta or Victoza. These subjects are comprehensively covered in the Diabetes Drugs and Medication area here.

Insulin would not be everybodys choice......however there are also many who have no problems with it at all.

suzyl100

Dislikes
Hate having diabetes but hey ho what can you do about. Even winning the lottery would not get rid of it
My father takes gliclazide 80mg morning and 80mg tea-time. He has his morning tabs at 9.30 and his tea-time tabs at 4.30. He also has Parkinson's. What I want to know is if his carers come at 3.30 for his tea call and he doesn't have his tabs until 4.30 what will happen to his BS levels. I am not sure how gliclazide works.

He doesn't test at all and hadn't seen anyone re his diabetes for nearly 2 years until December last year when the doctor came. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened. I am insulin dependent and sometimes test his BS but not sure when the best time to test is also how much carbohydrate should he be eating. Don't want him to have hypo's as he falls quite often with his Parkinson's. Can anyone help?

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
suzyl100 wrote
I am not sure how gliclazide works.

Correct me if I am wrong someone. but Glicazide encourages the Pancreas to produce insulin.

IVOR.OATTES

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can U TELL ME WHAT LEVELS ARE WHAT 4MM/BS r normal 4-7 not to bad 7-10 slightly high 10-15 high 15-20 v-high 20-25 v/risky over 33.3 bg dial 999 is this accurate,