How long until reduction in bs after diagnose

Joan561

Hi how soon after diagnose did your bs reduce, did it take a few weeks etc, we are getting no - where, son is 19 and learning disabled so I'm controlling his food intake and have lowered his carb in take. Meds just keep going up and up! Two weeks in and I'm confused! Think we are heading to insulin! Currently on metformin and cliclazide.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi how soon after diagnose did your bs reduce, did it take a few weeks etc, we are getting no - where, son is 19 and learning disabled so I'm controlling his food intake and have lowered his carb in take. Meds just keep going up and up! Two weeks in and I'm confused! Think we are heading to insulin! Currently on metformin and cliclazide.

Your position is complicated by not knowing what type of diabetes he has @Joan561

I have Type 1 and my blood sugar came down in hours once I was given insulin.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing he's Type 2 from the meds he's on. I was diagnosed in May and got mine down to normal levels in about two weeks. On diagnosis I immediately lowered my carbohydrate intake to less than 100g/day, and after another few weeks I dropped to between 50-70g/day.
You need to be counting carbs accurately as there's a lot of foods that are surprisingly high carb. I eat no bread, cereals, rice or pasta. I can get away with one very small potato at a meal but some people can't. Fruit and veg need looking at carefully too so that you keep to the lower carb ones.
I'm guessing you have a blood glucose meter, can I ask when you're testing your son. Initially you could do with testing on waking before each meal then two hours after the first bite of each meal, then again at bedtime.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rachox His type is still being determined :)

Please can posters be careful about assuming a diabetes type at this stage.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox His type is still being determined :)

Please can posters be careful about assuming a diabetes type at this stage.
Yes sorry, I have read the other thread, that the OP had posted before, and now realise their situation is not certain yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: azure
D

Deleted Account

I think before knowing which type, it is difficult to answer the question.
As @azure mentioned, type 1 treated with insulin is likely to see an improvement pretty fast but, reading other threads, I don't think the turn around is as fast if on type 2 and being treated with metformin and cliclazide.
It's been said many times on here, managing diabetes is a marathon rather than a sprint.

Joan561

Thanks for the replies, guess it's a waiting game for now. I do have the carbs sorted so we will see what the next few days bring with his meds been increased. He is a great eater and eats all so that part has been easy. Think it's time to pester the docs on Monday for a type diagnose!

Reactions: azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be a little careful with Gliclazide. It's job is to encourage the pancreas to produce extra insulin after meals. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. Too much insulin and your blood sugars can drop too low. So if your son is producing enough of his own insulin, plus the extra the Gliclazide encourages, he could have a hypo. For this reason you need to test frequently and especially at bedtimes. Of course, if he is Type 1, he won't be producing enough insulin and the Gliclazide will be a waste of time and money.

You are working blind at the moment until you get the correct Type 1 tests done and a definite diagnosis. Perhaps it is time to start a bit of nagging about this. He needs a GAD test and a C-peptide test.

Joan561

He has had cliclazide for two weeks now with no change and testing four times daily just now and have been checking
Him before bed as worried about him not recognising anything unusual when in bed. His average bs for the week is 17. More worried about the high levels !

Reactions: Robkww

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Joan561

You are doing everything you can, until a firm diagnosis is made there is not a lot more that you can do. You seem to understand the benefits and the risks and this itself will help you in the future.
Best wishes.