How many days of high readings would it take to get a high HBA1C reading

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been under the weather for a few days. Head cold and sore throat. MY readings have been bordering around the 8-9 mark. This morning has gone up to 10. I will have my next blood test in January. I'm just interested in how many highs does it take to affect your overall HBA1C reading over a 3 month period.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Anyone's guess but remember it's an average over the last 90+ days not just the last few. I suspect it would take a fair few to bump up what you know in your own head has / have been good levels. Press on and maybe others may be prepared to chip in with their opinions.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The HbA1c isn't really an average. It measures the glucose attached to haemoglobin in your blood, and as Haemoglobin lives approximately 3 months before being replaced by new, there will be some old, some middle aged and some new in the count. However, there is more new than old, so the "average" is weighted towards the last 2 or 3 weeks. This is a very simplistic and non-scientific way of explaining it! It also depends on your red blood cells, whether they are large or small, long or short lived. We are all different.

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oops ... another thing I've just learned

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the main value of an HbA1c is as a comparison.

Your current number should be compared with your last, and your diagnosis number.

Is it lower? Higher? Has it been steady? Is it sustainable? What have you been eating/injecting? Are you on the right track? Too many cheat treats? Too obsessive? Time to chill and stabilise?

I know that interpretation is subjective, but that is where the value lies.
There are variable factors at work (anaemia, your personal lifespan of blood cells, etc.) that makes comparing your numbers with other people a bit misleading.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is from a logic point of view.

I think it's really academic whether the high readings are going to effect the HBA1C.

You want what is close enough to the truth, as far as the test is concerned. Therefore, say you had lost a lot of weight and it had now been showing lower numbers in you everyday testing, then when ill we know that the numbers rise somewhat, but they would not rise as much if you had not already being dieting and losing the weight.

Consequently the average would be lower.

Neil

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think you need worry too much. As the high readings you are seeing are just a small snapshot of what is going on. I hope you feel better soon

Reactions: 2 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Still under the weather and higher readings. But at least I know why they are high. Otherwise I think I would be panicking. It's great coming into here for advice.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Been under the weather for a few days. Head cold and sore throat. MY readings have been bordering around the 8-9 mark. This morning has gone up to 10. I will have my next blood test in January. I'm just interested in how many highs does it take to affect your overall HBA1C reading over a 3 month period.

Hi I had my HBA1C in November after an accident in August with complications and I was dreading my result, I was sure in would be in the 8's or 9's,:eek: but it was actually 7.0, so better than expected :)
Everyone is so different, so it would be difficult to advise, but for a very short illness, I would of thought not a big change if any.

RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people