How many grams of hypo treatment carbs do you carry with you when you are out of the house?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just interested to know (1) how many grams and (2) what types - drinks, lollies, gel, biscuits, etc?

I carry 6 juice boxes, 1 lemonade and a bag of jelly beans.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.. I normally carry 2 bottles of very berry glucose shots, 3 tubes of glucose tabs and 2 plastic tubs containing 4 biscuits in each.

Reactions: phdiabetic

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just interested to know (1) how many grams and (2) what types - drinks, lollies, gel, biscuits, etc?

I carry 6 juice boxes, 1 lemonade and a bag of jelly beans.

I will have a packet of dextros and that’s it. Maybe 2 packs if I have my bag.

I used to use other items like you but found out that they either don’t work quick enough so more tends to be eaten or drank. dextros tablets are far easier to dose and predict their effects on blood sugars once you know what they do to you.

I’m not sure why other things are advised really unless it’s a last resort. Unless you are allergic to dextros tablets, then they are a no brainer and also 2 packs cost a £1 from most supermarkets. 20-30 hypo treatments for most. Winner!!! ;)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a packet of dextrose tablets in with my test kit.

I have another packet of dextrose tablets and a shot of glucojuice in the front packet of my handbag.

I also usually have a packet of raisins or prunes/apricots and a packet of oatcakes in my handbag.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have a packet of dextros and that’s it. Maybe 2 packs if I have my bag.

I used to use other items like you but found out that they either don’t work quick enough so more tends to be eaten or drank. dextros tablets are far easier to dose and predict their effects on blood sugars once you know what they do to you.

I’m not sure why other things are advised really unless it’s a last resort. Unless you are allergic to dextros tablets, then they are a no brainer and also 2 packs cost a £1 from most supermarkets. 20-30 hypo treatments for most. Winner!!! ;)
I'm quite newly diagnosed, dextros is all I have, at work, car and bag. Never had to use them yet but my question is, how many do you take at any one time, just the 1 and it should do the trick, 2 or more?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm quite newly diagnosed, dextros is all I have, at work, car and bag. Never had to use them yet but my question is, how many do you take at any one time, just the 1 and it should do the trick, 2 or more?
That depends on a number of factors surrounding the hypo your experiencing.

I follow a very low carb lifestyle so my insulin doses are a lot smaller than they used to be. In fact almost half so the insulin on board works a little different from say somebody eating a 100g carb meal and injecting 10 or more units to cover it. In that case a lot of people are advised to eat a small amount of slower releasing carbs after treating a hypo, 10-15g. For me it’s usually one tab to one and a half. Depends on how much I need to correct and if a meal or injection is pending. I try to aim for the mid 4’s all day long. Sometimes even gram increments are enough.

If your really low then you may need to eat 2-3 each one of our U.K. dextros has 4g of rapid acting carbs. Nearly 100% glucose. You can work out how much each gram does to your blood. Really interesting section in dr Bernstein’s book about treating hypos. He treats children in one gram increments as our dose of dextros would be massive on their smaller bodies.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Bag of jelly babies in handbag and gym bag. Dextrose tabs in car glove compartment. Three jelly babies in with test kit.