How many people diagnosed as prediabetes actually simply have the "hunter" gene

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Help… The “hunter” gene was defined by a weight loss doctor (low carb diet) on the Public Broadcasting System in the U.S. as people who did not lose weight on his diet. He explained that such people had a glucose tolerance test where their blood sugar increased for over 2 hours (diagnosed as prediabetic). I have figured out that “hunter” gene people’s A1C is strongly correlated to the amount of sugar/starch/alcohol they have eaten (diagnosed as prediabetic). I have a question I want answered. What fraction of the people diagnosed as prediabetic are simply people with the “hunter” gene?

The following may be helpful. People with the "hunter" gene are producing hormones which produce insulin resistance all the time. Such hormones are known to be produced by the placenta (HPL). When the blood sugar gets too high they turn off the hormones. Unfortunately, if pregnant women did this they would effect the hormones produced by the placenta and the baby would die. Therefore they continue to produce the hormones and are diabetic.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So someone inverts a genetic reason for his diet not working - and you believe that it is true - just like that? Even to the point where you extrapolate from gene to hormone production to insulin resistance?
Is there any actual evidence for this particular gene existing?
What turns off the hormones?
which hormones?
Why do they turn on again?

Dark Horse

1. Which low carb doctor?
  2. What programme?
  3. What date?
  4. What is the evidence for a single 'hunter' gene?
  5. Which hormones are producing insulin resistance?
  6. What is the evidence for these hormones being 'turned off' by high blood sugar

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...and isn't this thread just a replica of another thread started by the OP a while back?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  1. Which low carb doctor?
  2. What programme?
  3. What date?
  4. What is the evidence for a single 'hunter' gene?
  5. Which hormones are producing insulin resistance?
  6. What is the evidence for these hormones being 'turned off' by high blood sugar
A simple google comes up with multiple hits regarding different genotypes and weight loss profiles and epigenetic issues re the same

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you not got enough information yet from all the other threads and posts you’ve made about exactly the same thing?

Reactions: lovinglife

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Deja vu!

I have the same condition as the op and my endocrinologist dismissed the theory totally!

Reactions: lovinglife

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's stay polite guys.

As my old dear departed Mum would have said, "if you have nothing positive to say, then best plan is say nothing".

Reactions: Arlmy

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let's stay polite guys.

As my old dear departed Mum would have said, "if you have nothing positive to say, then best plan is say nothing".

I hope that wasn’t aimed at me, it was a genuine question.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely "Hunter" gene is a condition! It is a very severe condition too! Children born with the Hunter gene do not live very long, approx 7 to 12 years only.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely "Hunter" gene is a condition! It is a very severe condition too! Children born with the Hunter gene do not live very long, approx 7 to 12 years only.
I think that is Hunter's Syndrome.

Dark Horse

A simple google comes up with multiple hits regarding different genotypes and weight loss profiles and epigenetic issues re the same
Sorry, I don't understand your reply. The reason I asked is that the OP has made similar statements before but has never given enough detail for anyone to know exactly what they are talking about. I was hoping for some specific answers.

Dark Horse

Yes, 'Hunter' gene causes Hunter syndrome named after someone called Hunter. I think the OP is referring to a 'hunter' gene which is presumably found in peoples who hunt.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, 'Hunter' gene causes Hunter syndrome named after someone called Hunter. I think the OP is referring to a 'hunter' gene which is presumably found in peoples who hunt.
In this context it has nothing to do with Hunters syndrome.
The hunter ( or thrifty as it is also called) genotype is hypthesised to put some poulations / individuals at higher risk of metabolic dysregulation leading to weight gain, diabetes and other metabolic disorders. Google it

Dark Horse

In this context it has nothing to do with Hunters syndrome.
The hunter ( or thrifty as it is also called) genotype is hypthesised to put some poulations / individuals at higher risk of metabolic dysregulation leading to weight gain, diabetes and other metabolic disorders. Google it
I thought I was making the point that the OP was not talking about Hunter's syndrome, apologies for being unclear.

I am aware of the 'thrifty gene' hypothesis (and the 'thrifty phenotype' hypothesis and the 'thrifty epigenome' hypothesis and even the 'drifty gene'hypothesis) but I do not know whether the OP is talking about this or about another similar hypothesis (as suggested by the use of a different name). If we are talking about the 'thrifty gene' hypothesis, I am not sure there is much evidence for it.

I am unaware of the specific names of "hormones which produce insulin resistance " as stated by the OP (I thought the mechanism of insulin resistance was not yet understood). If you can find the names of them through googling,I would be interested to read the links.

This is an interesting article which discusses the 'thrifty gene' hypothesis (and other hypotheses) in relation to obesity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4031802/