how many units of basal?

technochill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Friends,
Can you please share how much basal insulin you take for type 1 diabetes? My doctor prescribed me 4 units of levemir every night, but through internet i came to know that it should be around 12 to 20 units? Please advise me what to do.

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just thinking the same thing. My daughter only takes 3.5 and weights 24kg and I wondered if it's enough. She was on six when she left the hospital but we reduced it down as she was only waking up just over 4 on six units and that made us a bit nervous. She now usually wakes between 5 and 8 but I have been thinking about increasing it as I can bring down her bg after meals in two hours to within target but then they rise before the next meal to around ten. I was thinking of asking the forum their advise as to whether the basals need to go up. We are currently on 1:12 for most meals so I think the rise is only going up a little before the meals but I wondered if increasing the basal will give me better results.
I would stick with what the doctor gave you until you have had a few morning results. If they are still high you could increase them then

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot depends on your weight and how advanced the destruction of your islet cells is. My DN started me on 10 units based on my weight of 60Kg and that was about right. 2 years later I take 12 units. 4 units does sound a bit low but perhaps your GP is being careful to avoid hypos. A simple check is to measure your fasting blood suagr over several day and the targte is between 5 - 7 mmol. You should ideally seek the advice of the GP but if you choose to make changes do it 1 unit at a time and wait a few days between changes, meausring each morning.

technochill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed around 4 months ago (15% hba1c), and probably it was my honey moon period as well. but now i feel its over and i was waking up feeling tired with higher glucose levels, after a bit of research on internet I increased it to 10 to 12 units and i feel a bit better, and after reading your replies I think it was the right thing to do , thank you all

technochill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
basalreq.jpg