How much alcohol is needed to induce hypoglycemia in a normally diabetic person who is not on diabetic control medication?

mysorian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Alcohol is not the best route to lower blood glucose. The question arose out of personal experience. Is there a specific relationship?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
if you don't take any medications, then no amount of alcohol will cause hypoglycemia. Alcohol simply blocks the release of glycogen by the liver, but your pancreas will not secrete insulin if you have not eaten carbohydrates (the insulin we inject continues to work). Hypoglycemia in general is a condition that is usually not peculiar to people who do not take insulin, gliclazide, and the like. The human body is smart enough not to lead to this.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you don't take any medications, then no amount of alcohol will cause hypoglycemia. Alcohol simply blocks the release of glycogen by the liver, but your pancreas will not secrete insulin if you have not eaten carbohydrates (the insulin we inject continues to work). Hypoglycemia in general is a condition that is usually not peculiar to people who do not take insulin, gliclazide, and the like. The human body is smart enough not to lead to this.
Indeed, if hypo was an outcome of drinking alcohol.then chucking out time at the pubs would need a string of ambulances and paramedics in attendance to deal with it. (i.e. over and above those that occur for normal reasons)

My experience of this is that alcohol interferes with my hypoglycemic medication (Gliclazide) and my bgl can drop to a lower than normal level, but so far I have not experienced a hypo from it. As a matter of interest, what were you drinking that may have given you your own experience?

• Funny
Reactions: MissMuffett

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, if hypo was an outcome of drinking alcohol.then chucking out time at the pubs would need a string of ambulances and paramedics in attendance to deal with it. (i.e. over and above those that occur for normal reasons)

My experience of this is that alcohol interferes with my hypoglycemic medication (Gliclazide) and my bgl can drop to a lower than normal level, but so far I have not experienced a hypo from it. As a matter of interest, what were you drinking that may have given you your own experience?

Edit to add: Mind you, drinking alcohol does increase ketones in the breath so there are tales of people on keto diets being charged with DUI offences because the breath testers measure ketones.

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s one unit of alcohol takes the liver 1 hour to process during which it’s not releasing glycogen.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This report seems to be relevant

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This report seems to be relevant
Thank you for this, which I had not previously seen. Couple of n=1 observations: normally an amount of alcohol around two glasses of wine, taken along with food, has the effect of preventing any rise in BG at the two hour point. My levels do seem to run a little bit higher for the next 24 hours or so (I am normally in ketosis and seeing around 4.7mmol/l consistently pre-meal).

I have had one experience of drinking a moderate amount (unplanned: a chance meeting with an old friend) without food. I was at the time +24hrs fasting. Result: what I believe to be hypoglycaemia, confusion, falling, anxiety, memory loss etc. Can't be entirely sure as I was in no state to test. Never to be repeated and I would strongly advise eating alongside drinking alcohol if your BGs are low. Don't fast and drink.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this, which I had not previously seen. Couple of n=1 observations: normally an amount of alcohol around two glasses of wine, taken along with food, has the effect of preventing any rise in BG at the two hour point. My levels do seem to run a little bit higher for the next 24 hours or so (I am normally in ketosis and seeing around 4.7mmol/l consistently pre-meal).

I have had one experience of drinking a moderate amount (unplanned: a chance meeting with an old friend) without food. I was at the time +24hrs fasting. Result: what I believe to be hypoglycaemia, confusion, falling, anxiety, memory loss etc. Can't be entirely sure as I was in no state to test. Never to be repeated and I would strongly advise eating alongside drinking alcohol if your BGs are low. Don't fast and drink.
When I was at school (some 60 years ago) we were given 2 rules regarding alcohol. Never drink on an empty stomach, and (2) Don't get caught drinking while at school. Apparently breaking either rule could lead to a swift exit. ( from Life, and from School Life respectively)

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When making the alcohol decision, don't forget to include what size of glass you are filling. "One glass" can mean anything from a really small amount to half the bottle.

Reactions: oldgreymare