how much carb is allowed per day for type 1

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant doctors spreading misinformation insulin price
hey guys is it fine if I increased my carb intake a little bit I'm eating 50/60 grams per meal 3 meals a day my total carb intake is 150/180 grams a day i want to increase it to 60/75 per meal so it will bring the total to 180/225 my ratio is 1 unit for 17 gram is it ok if i increase it and what's the recommended total daily carb intake thanks.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have managed on 200g carbs a day which I was told forty - nine years ago was the recommended amount , maybe a bit less now i'me getting older , but of course it depends on what you want , if you want to eat more inject more and vice versa but don't go mad you want to remain healthy after all don't you .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys is it fine if I increased my carb intake a little bit I'm eating 50/60 grams per meal 3 meals a day my total carb intake is 150/180 grams a day i want to increase it to 60/75 per meal so it will bring the total to 180/225 my ratio is 1 unit for 17 gram is it ok if i increase it and what's the recommended total daily carb intake thanks.
There is no recommended total daily carb intake for T1.

As long as you're able to adjust your insulin for your meals and see decent numbers, all is well!

For some (like me), this means going lower carb, because I find it much easier to dose for without spiking.
Others have practised a lot at dosing for higher carb meals and are very good at it, seeing numbers below 10 and usually lower most of the time.
Both approaches are perfectly fine, if it means you can regulate your blood glucose most of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have managed on 200g carbs a day which I was told forty - nine years ago was the recommended amount , maybe a bit less now i'me getting older , but of course it depends on what you want , if you want to eat more inject more and vice versa but don't go mad you want to remain healthy after all don't you .
I have been eating cake and juice cookies and chocolate nonstop for the past 19 years thanks god everything is fine but the only problem is my stomach it feels empty how to describe it like sandpaper rubbing my stomach from the inside I need to increase a little bit that's all nb; salad and protein nor fat does help with that feeling my numbers r always good most of the time like 8/10 if out of range its hypos, not hypers im 49kg 24 years old

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I count carbs but only to work out insulin requirements! I eat what and when I want , I try to have a varied diet and don’t eat much “ junk “ .when I was first diagnosed before the age of Bolus & Basel , I was on 275 g of carbs i was difficult and was always hungry , now nothing is off the menu and quite right too …….. bring on tha bangers and mash

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I count carbs but only to work out insulin requirements! I eat what and when I want , I try to have a varied diet and don’t eat much “ junk “ .when I was first diagnosed before the age of Bolus & Basel , I was on 275 g of carbs i was difficult and was always hungry , now nothing is off the menu and quite right too …….. bring on tha bangers and mash
maybe out of topic but if you do not mind how it was before basal/bolus I'm a little curious

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
maybe out of topic but if you do not mind how it was before basal/bolus I'm a little curious
In the 1970s, for me, this was a fixed amount of carbs for each meal plus a fixed amount for mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bedtime snacks. This was along with one injection per morning of a fixed number of units of a longer acting insulin which was supposed to last all day. I was on 40g carbs each for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 10g mid morning and mid afternoon, 30g before bed, with 10g for milk in tea and coffee throughout the day.
In the 80s this was changed to 2 injections per day, mixing fixed doses of the longer acting insulin with a quick acting one.

• Agree

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In the 1970s, for me, this was a fixed amount of carbs for each meal plus a fixed amount for mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bedtime snacks. This was along with one injection per morning of a fixed number of units of a longer acting insulin which was supposed to last all day. I was on 40g carbs each for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 10g mid morning and mid afternoon, 30g before bed, with 10g for milk in tea and coffee throughout the day.
In the 80s this was changed to 2 injections per day, mixing fixed doses of the longer acting insulin with a quick acting one.
Wow can't imagine the hypos in the 70 I'm familiar with the after 80s style Like actrapid and insulatard in 1 injection twice a day I was on that sadly from 2003 till 2019 xd

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wow can't imagine the hypos in the 70 I'm familiar with the after 80s style Like actrapid and insulatard in 1 injection twice a day I was on that sadly from 2003 till 2019 xd
You have to remember that the 70s was pre glucometer, so all you could do was test urine for sugar. Everyone (well me, certainly) ran much higher so hypos were rarer....

My regime was very similar to that described by @dancer

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Basically I took one insulin in the morning and one in the evening set amounts no change and had to eat a certain amount of carbs every day to correspond to the amount of insulin you took There were no blood sugar testing only urine sugar home testing , very restrictive and very hit or miss. Bearing in mind back then(1980) there weren‘t many sugar free products or food labelling as we have today ! We were given list of foods which we could eat and those we couldn’t . But we survived. The regime we use today was a game changer , we eat when we are hungry and take insulin to suit what food we eat , I know it’s not as simple as it sounds as we all know , but compared to those days it as like coming out of jail, many people these days who have diabetes worry about living a long life, let’s face it many of us who used the “ prehistoric “ system are still alive and kicking 40;50 and longer years later , so the is plenty of hope all with modern tech the way it is now and still developing .

Last edited:
Reactions: suk and Antje77

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Basically I took one insulin in the morning and one in the evening set amounts no change and had to eat a certain amount of carbs every day to correspond to the amount of insulin you took There were no blood sugar testing only urine sugar home testing , very restrictive and very hit or miss. Bearing in mind back then(1980) there were many sugar free products or food labelling as we have today ! We were given list of foods which we could eat and those we couldn’t . But we survived. The regime we use today was a game changer , we eat when we are hungry and take insulin to suit what food we eat , I know it’s not as simple as it sounds as we all know , but compared to those days it as like coming out of jail, many people these days who have diabetes worry about living a long life, let’s face it many of us who used the “ prehistoric “ system are still alive and kicking 40;50 and longer years later , so the is plenty of hope all with modern tech the way it is now and still developing .
true we're in a much better position today in general but for me im ****** up sorry for the tone I live in a country where our health minister thinks cgm s not necessary so it's not covered by assurance and you can't buy it even out of pocket unless you know someone lives outside the country who can send it to you actually if you over 20 years old the assurance will stop the test strips supplies you have nothing to do except buy it out of pocket ah another stupid rule if your hba1c is high they will refuse to give you the insulin supplies they don't respect the rule not all insulin suits all people they will put you on act rapid and insulatard and they don't care so i think im still in the prehistory era I don't care about a longer life I've never been a depressed person but I have plans I can't wait for the day i leave this physical seal I didn't say that because of diabetic this realm is really boring well its, not the right place to discuss such a matter in the bright said of things research is progressing and there is a new hope for retinopathy ng-004 therapy by novago it's still in the preclinical it did provide promising result

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
true we're in a much better position today in general but for me im ****** up sorry for the tone I live in a country where our health minister thinks cgm s not necessary so it's not covered by assurance and you can't buy it even out of pocket unless you know someone lives outside the country who can send it to you actually if you over 20 years old the assurance will stop the test strips supplies you have nothing to do except buy it out of pocket ah another stupid rule if your hba1c is high they will refuse to give you the insulin supplies they don't respect the rule not all insulin suits all people they will put you on act rapid and insulatard and they don't care so i think im still in the prehistory era I don't care about a longer life I've never been a depressed person but I have plans I can't wait for the day i leave this physical seal I didn't say that because of diabetic this realm is really boring well its, not the right place to discuss such a matter in the bright said of things research is progressing and there is a new hope for retinopathy ng-004 therapy by novago it's still in the preclinical it did provide promising result
I really feel for you ! I can only comment on the system in the Uk. Makes me realise how lucky we are here. There is a lot of criticism for the NHS ,but I personally , am glad we have it .

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I really feel for you ! I can only comment on the system in the Uk. Makes me realise how lucky we are here. There is a lot of criticism for the NHS ,but I personally , am glad we have it .
criticism xd I was lucky I know a guy who knows a guy so I've got the chance to meet the minister of health who doesn't even understand the difference between t1 and t2 I was like talking with a stone the problem is you can't win an argument with them im good at talking in my native language I win like 8/10 of the arguments in any topic the problem is politician most famous line our budget will not allow your lucky we can afford the insulin we have blah blah blah ah they have the budget it's hard talking with a politician so I've started the plan B is now building a strong suitcase sorry I just wanna talk I have 1 last question is still young but here we are for sure your better than me at this topic should I contact world health organization or International Criminal Court about this oppression or I'm just wasting my time and should live the country im lost lol