How much of a rise between pre- and post-meal?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is a good mmol rise after a meal, and what counts as a spike? What should I be aiming for?

Input appreciated

Newbie Lucy

Diagnosed 1 week ago with 16 mmol fasting; low carb + exx + Metformin 2g.

Ideally, test before and 2 hours after a meal. You should be looking to see a rise of no more than 2 or 3 mmol between before meal reading and 2 hour post meal reading. If

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Sorry Jack but we also have aspirations. I try to keep my peak below 8. (It changes from day to day) and hope to get the two hour result down to the same as before the meal.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try never to see 9 anytime and 1,500 met, so if you are 8 you are doing better than me, my a1c is 38, yours might be lower

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Jack but we also have aspirations. I try to keep my peak below 8. (It changes from day to day) and hope to get the two hour result down to the same as before the meal.

But what if your peak is at 2 hours depending on the combination of foods? If the meal is heavy in fat (including fat from protein) it will take longer to peak than a meal with less fat. I test at 1hr, 2hrs and sometimes 2.5hrs. My peaks are fairly equally distributed between the 1 hour and 2 hour readings. Yes, I agree it would be perfect to be back down to the starting point by 2 hours, but with food combinations that take longer to convert to glucose will always be higher at 2 hours than 1 hour, although the peaks will be lower and more gentle and hopefully well on the way back down by 2.5hrs.

It's all very confusing :confused:

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
But what if your peak is at 2 hours depending on the combination of foods? If the meal is heavy in fat (including fat from protein) it will take longer to peak than a meal with less fat. I test at 1hr, 2hrs and sometimes 2.5hrs. My peaks are fairly equally distributed between the 1 hour and 2 hour readings. Yes, I agree it would be perfect to be back down to the starting point by 2 hours, but with food combinations that take longer to convert to glucose will always be higher at 2 hours than 1 hour, although the peaks will be lower and more gentle and hopefully well on the way back down by 2.5hrs.

It's all very confusing :confused:
Exactly. I test every 15 minutes with a new meal.
longest Ive had was 3.5 hours last night with a Chinese takeaway.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cousins, I'm cheating because I'm on 1,500 met to do it, you're diet only.
but the goal is to get our BG down and we do whatever it takes, including insulin.

a new meal I test 1hr then 2 hr, if the 2hr is higher than 1 hr, then I do 3hr

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that as long as it doesn't go above 7.8 at any time it's OK even if it stays up in the 7's for 3 hours. I just wish I could keep mine under 7.8!!!

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at least the aussies had the excuse of playing the favourite LOL

gf, should I friend him/her on facebook? BFF

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are showing your age LOL
with facebook people send each other messages asking to be friends

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting readings on a morning are sometimes in the 7 what can I do to lower them

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting readings on a morning are sometimes in the 7 what can I do to lower them
There are a lot of ideas about dawn phenomenon and dealing with it on this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/

The fasting BG can be the last to come into line for some people, so concentrate on getting your other levels under control and hopefully this will be true for you also.

When you're starting out high, your best bet is to eat a protein based breakfast with minimal carbs so that any further rise is minimised.

On the OP's original question, I have read elsewhere that 3 mmol is generally considered to be an acceptable rise. Unfortunately it's not always possible to tailor your next meal based on the pre-meal reading, though definitely avoid adding obvious carbs if your premeal level is already high.

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Indy for your reply, what you have wrote makes so much sense, when starting high why had more work for you're body to do to correct it. Thanks

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a slightly different question. If I'm 13, say, before the meal (I've only been diagnosed a week), is an increase of 2 (to 15) at my peak okay? I've had increases from 2 to 5. Does preprandial 13, postprandial 16, count as too high? Is from 13 to 18 really bad, or just to be avoided if poss?

Guidelines please.

I've only just started, at 16 one week ago. I'm working with fasting levels of 11, 12, sometimes 13.

thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that if you were testing the meal to see if it was OK for you, that the rise of 2 was OK. The lower the better. Over 3 and you need to work out what caused the additional rise - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit???? and reduce portions and try again another day or avoid.
You need to work on your fasting and pre-meal levels. They are too high.

Are you keeping a food diary and cross checking against your readings?
Have you reduced your carbs?

Try not to worry, you are in the very early days and all this takes time.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you have only been a week, I wouldn't worry and spend the time learning, it takes 3 weeks before the metformin kicks in
have a look at LCHF diets here