How much of a rise between pre- and post-meal?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say that if you were testing the meal to see if it was OK for you, that the rise of 2 was OK. The lower the better. Over 3 and you need to work out what caused the additional rise - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit???? and reduce portions and try again another day or avoid.
You need to work on your fasting and pre-meal levels. They are too high.

Are you keeping a food diary and cross checking against your readings?
Have you reduced your carbs?

Try not to worry, you are in the very early days and all this takes time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops - I meant to reply to Bluetit.

Yes I've dropped carbs completely and am keeping a food diary. Harder to read the picture with whole meals bec of the complexity. Might try out one component at a time, that'll make for very boring eating tho ...

I'm not worried. I've only just begun, and BS has ready dropped a lot just from no carb and eating less for a week. That has to be good. Want to find out what is good to eat.

Hoping family meals minus carbs will generally be okay.

Also wondering how to get a whole load of new clothes - mine are hanging off my hips. Nice but I'll be naked.

Lucy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes my 2 hr BS reading has been lower than the one before eating:confused:. I don't get that, but I redid the test in case it was a faulty strip. My fasting this morning was 5.5 which I'm happy with, especially as I can't take Metformin anymore (my Dr cancelled them on my prescription yesterday) because they make me so ill. So, now I am 'legally' diet controlled, which will make me more vigilant with my diet!!

I rarely go above 7.8 at 2 hrs, and then only if I have tried a new food or been tempted a little, I'm only human:rolleyes:.

My next challenge is to walk more, once I've found some footwear which doesn't hurt!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Sometimes my 2 hr BS reading has been lower than the one before eating:confused:. I don't get that, but I redid the test in case it was a faulty strip. My fasting this morning was 5.5 which I'm happy with, especially as I can't take Metformin anymore (my Dr cancelled them on my prescription yesterday) because they make me so ill. So, now I am 'legally' diet controlled, which will make me more vigilant with my diet!!

I rarely go above 7.8 at 2 hrs, and then only if I have tried a new food or been tempted a little, I'm only human:rolleyes:.

My next challenge is to walk more, once I've found some footwear which doesn't hurt!
I have bought several pairs of shoes which all hurt in different areas and alternate between them. Still looking though.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bought several pairs of shoes which all hurt in different areas and alternate between them. Still looking though.

It's just the one place that hurts with me. I have osteo in my feet and a joint at the side near my little toe is swollen and painful if anything even slightly presses on it. I'm living in flip flops at the moment, which isn't ideal.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
It's just the one place that hurts with me. I have osteo in my feet and a joint at the side near my little toe is swollen and painful if anything even slightly presses on it. I'm living in flip flops at the moment, which isn't ideal.
Flip flops? On a diabetic?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes my 2 hr BS reading has been lower than the one before eating:confused:. I don't get that, but I redid the test in case it was a faulty strip. ...

I get this quite a lot at the moment Beshlie (well lower or very close!) and just work on the assumption: the less or lower the peaks the better. I'm on SR metformin and eat LCHF.

Robbity

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get this quite a lot at the moment Beshlie (well lower or very close!) and just work on the assumption: the less or lower the peaks the better. I'm on SR metformin and eat LCHF.

Robbity

I had to stop the metformin SR as they were making me ill, so now I'm diet only....a bit scary, but makes me more vigilant!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not flip flops or bare foot? it's only if your feet are numb with bad neuropathy that you need to worry, surely?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not flip flops or bare foot? it's only if your feet are numb with bad neuropathy that you need to worry, surely?

Presumably because of potential problems if you're not aware of losing the feelings in your feet and don't do regular checks? Or maybe diabetics are classed as irresponsible idiots?? :wacky::wacky:

I'm being quite evil at the moment too and wearing flip flop type mules - I have the after effects of an ingrown toenail which was reluctant to heal properly with normal shoes and slippers - the fresh air is doing it good - as long as I keep well away from being trampled by careless husbands and heavy footed little dogs. (And both have happened previously!!)

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people