How Much Water To Drink?

Janya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone,

Doctor has just upped Metformin to 2x 500mg a day and I am THIRSTY!
I've been going through up to 5 litres of water a day and feel like I could drink more as well.
I was told by a friend that this is way too much and could be dangerous for kidneys so today I cut down, didn't drink as much and have had a banging headache since mid afternoon. I know the recommended level is approx 2L for women so I have been drinking quite a bit more but it does seem to help with the bad heads and stomach issues

How much is classed as too much water when on Metformin? and, will drinking so much water cause any damage?

Thanks
d~x

Janya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds to me that you should see your GP and see what is suggested. Such a thirst usually indicates something isn't quite right and high blood glucose is one of the causes. Are you suggesting this has only happened since taking Metformin? Have you been able to check your blood glucose levels?

Reactions: 4 people

Janya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds to me that you should see your GP and see what is suggested. Such a thirst usually indicates something isn't quite right and high blood glucose is one of the causes. Are you suggesting this has only happened since taking Metformin? Have you been able to check your blood glucose levels?

Unsure if it is the Metformin or the diet change causing the thirst. I have always been thirsty and had dry mouth and eyes, but since taking the Metformin and changing my diet (cut out nearly all carbs and sugar, increased proteins and fats) I seem to have gone into over drive with permanent dry mouth and wanting to drink. I bought a monitor and it shows huge swings from low 3's up to 10 + over the day. I am using that info to get myself into better eating habits and working out when and how much to eat.
I will call the doctor tomorrow and see what he says.
Thanks for the info and reply!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
May I ask when you are having the highs and lows in relation to food? Metformin should not cause lows. Are you going very high after eating and then crashing very low quickly?

Janya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask when you are having the highs and lows in relation to food? Metformin should not cause lows. Are you going very high after eating and then crashing very low quickly?

Yes, I am very low before meals and then high after, but then way back down again very soon after, within a couple of hours or so. From reading other posts here I think I need to eat small amounts every 3hrs-ish to help with the swings so I will try that this week. I don't actually like eating and do not usually have a good appetite. Before this I was having one small main meal a day in the evening and 1/2 a sandwich at lunch time (still the size of a small house tho!) and rarely had sweets/snacks as they make me feel sick. Now I'm having 3 small meals a day with low carbs with some snacks like a handful of almonds in between when I get wobbily. I also read that it can take some time for my body to get used to burning fats instead of carbs so I'm thinking the swings are something to do with that as well. It's early days yet so will keep on monitoring to find a good level of food/excercise.
Thanks for your reply!

Janya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am very low before meals and then high after, but then way back down again very soon after, within a couple of hours or so. From reading other posts here I think I need to eat small amounts every 3hrs-ish to help with the swings so I will try that this week. I don't actually like eating and do not usually have a good appetite. Before this I was having one small main meal a day in the evening and 1/2 a sandwich at lunch time (still the size of a small house tho!) and rarely had sweets/snacks as they make me feel sick. Now I'm having 3 small meals a day with low carbs with some snacks like a handful of almonds in between when I get wobbily. I also read that it can take some time for my body to get used to burning fats instead of carbs so I'm thinking the swings are something to do with that as well. It's early days yet so will keep on monitoring to find a good level of food/excercise.
Thanks for your reply!

Have you had a read of the Reactive Hypoglycaemia threads?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/

You may find the issues discussed there could ring some bells and be of help.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I drink 2-3 litres per day including coffee and water with protein/supplements...:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are having stomach/bowel issues note that this can be caused by standard Metformin. Ask the GP to change you to the Slow Release (SR) version which is much kinder.