How often do you test

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Hi T2 diabetic and been told to test by my doctor after my last 3 monthly blood test hbac1 of 70. But given no further instructions if how often or what I am looking for. Morning test after sleep are 10.3 and evening around 8 before I eat. Really can't see the point in testing when I'm not sure what I'm looking for to change.

twiggy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi T2 diabetic and been told to test by my doctor after my last 3 monthly blood test hbac1 of 70. But given no further instructions if how often or what I am looking for. Morning test after sleep are 10.3 and evening around 8 before I eat. Really can't see the point in testing when I'm not sure what I'm looking for to change.
I picked up some libre sensors. My insurance didn't cover them but I feel they are worth every penny! It allows you to see how portions, how fast you eat, and what foods do to your bs. It's a valuable tool because we are not all the same. One food can spike blood sugar in one person and only slightly raise it in another.
Learn carbohydrates; what foods and how many carbs they have...keep the intake of them as low as you can. Some people do as low as 10gm/day. I cannot do that low. I try for <100. I hope much success for you and im sorry your hcp was not helpful to you.
Good luck

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
3/4 times a day

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ll learn most by testing just before you start a meal and then two hours after the first reading. You are aiming to have the second reading no more than 2mmols/l above the first one and in any case below 8.3mmols/l. If is is there were too many carbs in the meal for you.
By modifying your diet you can reduce your numbers from where they are now to healthy numbers.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Robbity and JAT1

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tested before then 2 hours after every meal at first. From that I knew how many carbs I could eat in a day and max amount in one meal.
I tested until my numbers dropped into the normal range and I knew which foods my body can tolerate.
Once I was in remission I test once a week first thing in the morning and after the meal with the most carbs in it.

Reactions: jem1

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't test that much these days. When I do, it's either as a check or because something new is happening - new food, change in exercise pattern, for example. I'll also sometimes do a week of "first thing" tests jsut to check nothing has changed.

In my view the most important and informative are the ones that show you the carb impact of the food you're eating- that is, the before first bite and the +2hr one. The post-eating reading should be no more than 2 mmol/l higher than the starting reading and not higher than 8mmol/l. If that's the case, it shows that your system dealt with the arrival of glucose (in whatever amount) in your bloodstream and cleared it relatively quickly.

If you're doing that consistently it shows you're starting to reduce the high levels of blood glucose that over time cause damage.

Reactions: JAT1