How to gain weight?

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was diagnosed in April last year, after a couple of months we've gotten used to everything and Mike's doing really well.
The only issue is that he's struggling to gain weight, he lost around 8LB before he was diagnosed and he's always been skinny but he's still losing weight.

He's 5ft 10 and only weighs 8 stone 8.

Any tips on how he can gain weight? He eats 3/4 good meals a day, has around 30 carbs with each meal and snacks well.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I guess his food / weight gain, would be related to his activity levels also.

He's having 90g of carbs per day which is less than half the GDA for a non-diabetic. What's the calorie value of his food? - maybe you need to up the protein and fat content of the meals.

Please consider speaking to your doc as maybe there's something else going on to cause the weight loss?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are his blood sugars? If he was having lots of highs that might cause him to lose some weight perhaps.

When I need to put on weight, I eat more carbs. Maybe he could consider increasing his carbs at each meal and making the necessary adjustments to his insulin (with the help of his team if necessary)? If I get really skinny, I also eat things like spoonfuls of peanut butter between meals and maybe chunks of cheese too. I also add a little olive oil to my food.

The advice above to see a doctor just to make sure there's nothing else going on is good. Always best to check and not assume everything is down to diabetes.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I had lost about 15kg. After getting my BG under control I struggled to put on weight and even lost a little more. This was mainly due to not wanting to eat many carbs. Then this year, just under two year since diagnosis I managed to put on weight. I learnt to stop fearing carbs, started eating a little more and accepting I will have to take a little more insulin to cover it. My BG is still good and I have now gained back 5kg.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. 90gm of carbs isn't too low so should be OK as long as he is having enough protein and fat as well. If despite enough protein and fats the weight loss continues then he must see the GP soon.