how to help someone

bluetears79

HI
I dont know much about diabetes so please forgive me but my friend has it and i was just wondering if ever they had an attack or there sugar levels were really low what would be the best thing to do, is it right that i heard somewhere that you give them some thing sugary like a sweet?

Grazer

Hi bluetears. What type of diabetes does your friend have? If she's a type 1, she is probably best placed to tell you what is best to give her if she has a Hypo and becomes ill. If she's a type 2, it depends on what medication she's on as to wether or not she's likely to have a hypo and need assistance. Again, it's probably best to have a good chat with your friend. Nice that you think this way though about your friend.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, if your friend has a hypo they need something sugary to help bring their blood sugar levels back up. Usually a sugary drink works more quickly than sugary food, so something like coke or lucozade (not diet coke). If your friend is unconscious then don't give them anything as it could be a choking hazard. Dial 999 and request an ambulance if your friend becomes unconscious. Diabetics usually carry a hypo treatment with them so check with your friend what he/she prefers to use to correct a low reading. Also ask your friend what hypo symptoms she/he gets, there might be times when you notice the symptoms and your friend doesn't.