How to support my colleague

bitworried

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone,

I hope its ok to post here. I'm not diabetic but this seems like a good place to get some advice about how to help my colleague after a recent situation

I work in a small office with about six other people. One of my colleagues, who I work very closely with on a day to day basis, is T1. I've worked with him a long time and have seen him go through the shock (and initial denial) after his diagnosis about 9 years ago, to where he is now. As far as I know his diabetes is well managed - he has had no time off work apart from appointments and a week long diabetes course about a year ago.

Last week while in the office he had a bad hypo - I've seen him hypo before and am first aid trained and clued up on what to do in this situation, but he has never really needed any help before. This time He was clearly in a bad way, so I went with him to the kitchen To help get him some Lucozade. At this point he went downhill rapidly, became really quite disorientated - his arm kind of flailed out of its own acclrd and caught me smack bang on the nose - Which then bled everywhere! It was a freak accident, there was no intent there and obviously my main concern was getting sugar into the guy rather than worrying about my bloody nose

However, At this point a (notoriously dramatic) colleague walked in, saw the scene panicked, and ran to Tell our boss I was being murdered. At which point all hell broke loose - security called etc.

My colleague recovered quite quickly after the Lucozade and was obviously mortified that he had hurt me. The office rumour mill did its work and soon everyone was saying he had "lost it" and punched me.

Long story short my poor colleague has been suspended from work for assaulting me! Now he absolutely did not mean to hit me (was In such a state that even if he had tried, he wouldnt have been able to). It wasnt a case of him getting stroppy while hypo and lashing out. His arm literally just flailed out, he had no control over it and my stupid nose just happened to be in the way.

I've said this to my bosses time and time again and have given them a written statement saying I want no part in these disciplinary measures- it was an accident! - but they are adamant he is not safe to be in the office.

My first question really is - can our bosses really go down the disciplinary route for this? Surely there are laws in place that protect people with conditions from being pushed out.

My second question. has anyone here ever accidentally hurt someone while hypo? As far as I was concerned it was no big deal - but my colleague is devastated. Iv never known him be down about anything diabetes-related before, but we spoke on the phone last night and he sounded like he's lost all confidence. We have always been quite close - we're friends as much as colleagues - and I want to be supportive but I guess I can't understand the emotional impact of a bad hypo. I don't know what to say, beyond reassuring him that it wasn't his fault and that Im trying to tell our bosses that!

I feel a bit guilty too for not staying out of arms reach while trying to help him!

It shook me up too if Im honest. Not so much getting smacked on the nose! but just seeing how rapidly he went downhill - It was just a horrible experience all round. I think I just needed a place to get it off my chest!

C

catherinecherub

I am going to bump this post up for you @bitworried as you need some answers.

I am a Type 2 but was surprised that your colleague did not have anything to hand and had to go to the kitchen to get something. Is he not allowed to have anything suitable at his work station?

Your management really need educating about the possible outcomes of hypo incidents as they seem to be clueless.:rolleyes:.

You will hear from other Type1s as to the best way forward and I want to congratulate you on being such a good mate.

Nickers

Aw that is terrible yes I have hurt someone in a hypo when I was in my teens I punched my dads arm out if the way whilst he was trying to give me my injection to get my sugars up I was so out of it I didn't even know I had done it i did however scrape the needle across my own leg due to punching my and it took my mam dad sister and my then partner to hold me down to give me the injection. I really think that this has been blown out of control by ur bosses and think ur colleague should go and get some legal advice to help him I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help let us know what happens good luck

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First off id like to say that you are a good friend and person for helping your friend. Did your boss know of his diabetes condition prior to hiring him? I would of thought it would be illegal to sack someone for having diabetes. As you said it was an accident. Id advise him to check his rights of unfair dismal and maybe bring it to a tribunal if he is dismissed. Id even go so far to sue them for loss of income while he is suspended

H

Hooked

I wonder if your boss would discipline an epileptic if they managed to accidently kick or hit someone during a fit? It's just not on. I'd advise your colleague to seek out advice on his rights in the work place if the boss is now deeming him to be unsafe in the office. Would also be a good idea for him to keep treatments for hypos at his desk as well as in the kitchen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Both you and your work colleague have explained that the whole incident was the result of a hypoglycaemic episode so can't see why they would want to pursue it, you have also said in a letter that it was an accident and there was no intent in the assault which makes it harder to believe that they want to go as far as a disciplinary hearing.

All I can suggest is your work colleague asks for some representation, this could be from a Union Rep or a colleague who is neutral to the event, in the mean-time your colleague might want to contact the Citizens Advice or ring the Diabetes UK helpline, both wil advise on where you can go next with this matter, failing that he want to get a solicitor involved that deals in employment matters.

Good luck to you both and hope all turns out well.

Reactions: 3 people